Sign in to follow this  
pete

3 for 3 One day at a time

3 girls

3 junior elk tags

3 days to hunt

3 shots fired

3 elk at the meat locker = Happy dude(dad)

Once again we were blessed to get 3 junior elks tags for our daughters in 23.  So we loaded up Thursday and headed up. I kept telling myself this was going to be a lot of work but we had Abbey(15) Becca (12) Elizabeth (12) (twins) Cousin, Nephew, Brother, son, wife so I felt the help was there but still a lot of work. Opening morning Abbey chose to go with Josh and my wife and I was to take the twins. Bottom line if Josh is guiding you will get opportunity  guaranteed. Well it happened early Abbey Shot her cow 250 yards by 7 am. I was so excited when I got the text but just as sad that I was standing next to her when she shot. In the end I'm happy for her although I'm selfish in my thoughts. So we headed back to the ranch to celebrate and take the rest of the day off and enjoy the time.

Saturday we took the twins out , I found the elk again but there was a lot of pressure although nobody was banging away in that area there was a lot of people driving the roads. So we opted to go to another spot and low and behold on the way over their 5 cows crossed the road in front of us and we were able to get ahead of them pull over and make are way out in front of them and Elizabeth made her shot and the party was over. 100 yards at 7 am, so we took the rest of the day off to celebrate and just relax we did look in the evening but as far as I was concerned the pressure was off we had 2 elk down until those puppy eyes came to me and said Dad I sure hope I get a chance at one. I said challenge accepted.

Sunday morning Abbey found the elk right by the house so Becca and I slipped in to them and they had back doored us down a thick haired over canyon so I blew 1 soft cow call and the bull responded right away so we had to move around to get the shot and was able to get set up fast and Becca sent one , although I had ear protection on I heard the thump but it didn't look like a great shot so we backed out for about 1.5 hours and came back in with help. I looked long and hard and could not find blood and Becca was really taking it hard then all of a sudden I smelled the smell of elk and I pulled a lighter out lit it up started following the scent and there she laid about 60 yards from the shot. 6:45 am 265 yards.  I let out a yell that would curl your hair. Becca was very proud of her first elk heck all my girls were happy. But I have to tell you honestly there is nothing better for me to see it in their eyes. Passion just like me. I'm far from mister kill everything maybe 30 years ago I was But now to be able to take the kids out and watch them light up like a Christmas tree when they harvest makes all of it worth it. My wife and I are truly blessed and thank are lucky stars for the blessing's bestowed upon us all 4 of them.

Thanks for the read and good luck out there,

Pete 

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0259 (1).JPG

IMG_0228 (1).JPG

IMG_0205 (1).JPG

IMG_0253 (1).JPG

• Like 19
  • Wow! 3

Awesome! Girls get it done! Congrats to all!

Awesomeness! Great work to all involved, and I am sure it was an amazing experience for the ladies.

I am headed to 23 on Thursday for the next cow hunt. I hope to have some success like you had. 

Rackem up!!!  Congrats

9 minutes ago, Goldfinger78 said:

Awesome!!!! These youth cow hunts are a blast!!!  Congratulations!!!

I’ve always enjoyed helping out on these hunts! Unfortunately, all the kids through family and friends are over 18 now. 🙁