Havasuhunter

Scaled quail in southeast AZ for Havasu stripers, Bass, etc

I’m currently working in Safford and would like to get on some scaled quail over the next few weeks once the season opens. Gambels are good too but would like to check scalies off my list. If anyone can help me out, preferably someone with dogs, I’d be willing to take you out on a half to full day fishing trip on Havasu in trade. 

I run a really beautiful Skeeter ZX2250 bay boat and have all top end tackle. We catch quality stripers and smallmouth much of the year or I can put you on the giant redear. We don’t do the anchovy thing either. I fish either live bait or 95% of the time we are fishing artificial. Topwater, big glide baits, saltwater stick baits, flies etc. 20 stripers per person on artificial is common when weather cooperates. Most are around the 3lb average with many double digit fish in fall and winter to spice things up.

• Like 3

That's a fantastic offer. Almost makes me wish I lived near there and had a dog. I hunted them near Sunazona  ages ago and loved it. They would flush reasonably close and would level out about 8 or so feet above the ground and fly away in a relatively straight line. It was almost like shooting trap.

I've never caught a striper in either salt or fresh and I am packing today for a trip to visit with my brother for the weekend and do some fishing for Reds and Specs in South Louisiana. WHat kind of work brings you to Safford?

9 hours ago, PRDATR said:

That's a fantastic offer. Almost makes me wish I lived near there and had a dog. I hunted them near Sunazona  ages ago and loved it. They would flush reasonably close and would level out about 8 or so feet above the ground and fly away in a relatively straight line. It was almost like shooting trap.

I've never caught a striper in either salt or fresh and I am packing today for a trip to visit with my brother for the weekend and do some fishing for Reds and Specs in South Louisiana. WHat kind of work brings you to Safford?

Thanks for the info. I’m a voice and data contractor. I work on networks throughout AZ and CA.

if you ever get out to havasu, especially in winter, I can put you on stripers very easily. Louisiana sounds awesome right now. I’ve caught reds and specs in FL. Redfish fight a lot like a striper. Very strong fish.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Havasuhunter said:

Thanks for the info. I’m a voice and data contractor. I work on networks throughout AZ and CA.

if you ever get out to havasu, especially in winter, I can put you on stripers very easily. Louisiana sounds awesome right now. I’ve caught reds and specs in FL. Redfish fight a lot like a striper. Very strong fish.

Thanks for the kind offer.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:18 AM, Havasuhunter said:

I’m currently working in Safford and would like to get on some scaled quail over the next few weeks once the season opens. Gambels are good too but would like to check scalies off my list. If anyone can help me out, preferably someone with dogs, I’d be willing to take you out on a half to full day fishing trip on Havasu in trade. 

I run a really beautiful Skeeter ZX2250 bay boat and have all top end tackle. We catch quality stripers and smallmouth much of the year or I can put you on the giant redear. We don’t do the anchovy thing either. I fish either live bait or 95% of the time we are fishing artificial. Topwater, big glide baits, saltwater stick baits, flies etc. 20 stripers per person on artificial is common when weather cooperates. Most are around the 3lb average with many double digit fish in fall and winter to spice things up.

I don't know if Scaled quail have made a comeback in South Eastern Arizona. I hunted them for years and their numbers have really declined. The Gambel quail seem to have taken over in these areas, as it seems they are more resilient to drought conditions. I hunted the Safford area, Sunizona, and the Dragoons. If you get out after them and have any success let us know how it went.

• Like 1

Covered many miles on foot and in the truck. Finally found a few scaled quail but they are very scarce. I missed twice on what should have been reasonably easy shots. I think I was mesmerized that I finally found some.

Gambels are plentiful in most Gambels habitat within a few miles of water. It does seem there’s a few people around that don’t like to actually wait for quail season to open as I found signs of harvested birds prior to opening day in a few scouted locations. Disgusting behavior and that sure doesn’t help either species during lean times.

2 hours ago, Havasuhunter said:

Covered many miles on foot and in the truck. Finally found a few scaled quail but they are very scarce. I missed twice on what should have been reasonably easy shots. I think I was mesmerized that I finally found some.

Gambels are plentiful in most Gambels habitat within a few miles of water. It does seem there’s a few people around that don’t like to actually wait for quail season to open as I found signs of harvested birds prior to opening day in a few scouted locations. Disgusting behavior and that sure doesn’t help either species during lean times.

There's folks like that everywhere! Disgusting behavior is exactly what it is. This year there might be an excuse since they changed the opening date to later in the month, just excuses, some people don't read. I've seen evidence of harvested birds before the season the last few years! I go out and scout for quail like I scout for deer and I've even seen trucks of dogs and their excuse is that were training the dogs and shooting blanks.  I've communicated this to Game & Fish and there's little they can do. Don't give up, it's takes a lot of walking to get any quail nowadays! Early morning is best if you have dogs. Their noses are gone with the heat of the day so they're only good for a couple of hours, besides there's no snakes for at least two hours at this time of year, LOL! That includes hunters who don't like to get up early!

4 minutes ago, L Cazador said:

There's folks like that everywhere! Disgusting behavior is exactly what it is. This year there might be an excuse since they changed the opening date to later in the month, just excuses, some people don't read. I've seen evidence of harvested birds before the season the last few years! I go out and scout for quail like I scout for deer and I've even seen trucks of dogs and their excuse is that were training the dogs and shooting blanks.  I've communicated this to Game & Fish and there's little they can do. Don't give up, it's takes a lot of walking to get any quail nowadays! Early morning is best if you have dogs. Their noses are gone with the heat of the day so they're only good for a couple of hours, besides there's no snakes for at least two hours at this time of year, LOL! That includes hunters who don't like to get up early!

Several people have told me it’s common behavior out here to hunt before the season starts. Really pisses me off for sure. I’m getting plenty of Gambels quail by getting into harder to access spots and walking a lot. I’ll try again on the weekend for scalies. I’ve also shot a few cottontails with the 22 PCP air rifle which is great. Head shots so zero meat waste. Used it on squirrels last gear. I’ll never use a shotgun or rimfire on small game like that again. Dead silent, dead accurate. I’ll shoot some quail with it someday too but I prefer the shotgun for those.

I live in Cochise and I don't know if the numbers are down but I have seen just as many as I always do. I don't have a dog to chase them but I know a few areas the tend to be here is a picture from a few years ago one gambles scaled and mearns. I am always ready to chase quail IMG_20180606_092609_732.thumb.jpg.d3683aca98502e9ce89131980b92e69f.jpg

• Like 2

I’m back in Havasu now so my scaled quail chasing is over for the year. I’ll be focusing on stripers, duck, Gambels and maybe some rabbits out here the rest of the year.