Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

questionable AZ history

i don't know why i am always making a fool of myself on here.  late night psychosis i guess.  2am and the mule deer buck in the backyard is keeping me up crunching acorns.

a game.  only 1 rule:  if you have to check on the computer why would you answer the question?

what beverage was given the moniker 'navajo coke' ?

who were the 'crazy boatmen of Arizona'?

paul mantz was a household name and the most famous of hollywood stunt pilots.  how, where in AZ did he die?

what was the message the old navajo asked aldrin and armstrong to give the ancient spirits when they landed on the moon? (probably made up by johnny carson...)

where was Sonora, AZ? (i first heard of it at my llanteria in east LA circa 1990.)

good night.  marshall trimble is the man-i have heard him cover most of these.

lee

I only know one off the top of my head;  Sonora, AZ was where the current Ray Mine sits.  My parents and older brother & sisters lived in Sonora when my dad was a young mining engineer.  In the mid-60s, the town of Kearny was built to house all of the miners so the mine could be expanded (effectively swallowing-up the town of Sonora....).

Cool thread!  I LOVE old AZ history!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stanley said:

I only know one off the top of my head;  Sonora, AZ was where the current Ray Mine sits.  My parents and older brother & sisters lived in Sonora when my dad was a young mining engineer.  In the mid-60s, the town of Kearny was built to house all of the miners so the mine could be expanded (effectively swallowing-up the town of Sonora....).

Cool thread!  I LOVE old AZ history!!

I knew this one. I was working in Kearny and an older gentleman explained it to me.  

• Like 1

I love AZ history too.  I always try to watch Arizona Highways and buy any book I can about Arizona.

I'm surprised I don’t know the Navajo Coke answer.

1 hour ago, oz31p said:

I knew this one. I was working in Kearny and an older gentleman explained it to me.  

Not many people have the opportunity to work in Kearny.   SMALL town! lol

I spent the first 18 years of my life there.  Born & raised.....    Loved it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I was also thinking along that line, or maybe Coors or Bud. 

Keystone and I don't know anything about beer cept when picking up cans along the side of the road in certain places in AZ that is the predominate can...........

4 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Keystone and I don't know anything about beer cept when picking up cans along the side of the road in certain places in AZ that is the predominate can...........

Hey now!  Don't lump all of us rednecks in with slobs.... It is Coors Light in a different can.  I put my daughter through college with the money I saved buying the cheaper label for 18 years!

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 8:13 AM, Saguaro said:

Is Navajo Coke, Garden De Luxe Tokay?

i am surprised no one has heard of it.  nothing negative or derogatory in any way.  every person on here has perhaps had a few to drink in their lives.  i remember getting sent to the skull valley general store to get 4 navajo cokes for lunch when i was 6.

On 10/16/2019 at 5:04 AM, Outdoor Writer said:

The crazy boatmen were German POWs. 

Mantz died during the filming of Flight of the Phoenix.

the great Christmas escape from papago park pow camp.  a couple of them walked all the way to the mexican border.  the ringleader lived for months in a cave on camelback mountain-he would get day jobs to buy groceries.  the father of a co-worker was there and after the war emigrated to America sponsored by the farmer he worked for during the war and after until retirement.  the boatmen is still a favorite war story in germany.

i cannot believe Mantz got the phoenix to fly but it killed him doing it.  there is video that's hard to watch.  Mom took it hard she had gotten to know him when she worked at the airport in Williams for Larry Ely.  i have seen Mantzs' picture on the wall in a yuma hotel.

lee

mantz.jpg.13cc6812a035393971dd84efdaef67bc.jpgpapago.jpg.d592d61fbe1059b5fc05f7d9e01a73fb.jpg

21 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

i am surprised no one has heard of it.  nothing negative or derogatory in any way.  every person on here has perhaps had a few to drink in their lives.  i remember getting sent to the skull valley general store to get 4 navajo cokes for lunch when i was 6.

the great Christmas escape from papago park pow camp.  a couple of them walked all the way to the mexican border.  the ringleader lived for months in a cave on camelback mountain-he would get day jobs to buy groceries.  the father of a co-worker was there and after the war emigrated to America sponsored by the farmer he worked for during the war and after until retirement.  the boatmen is still a favorite war story in germany.

i cannot believe they got the phoenix to fly but it killed him doing it.  there is video that's hard to watch.  Mom took it hard she had gotten to know him when she worked at the airport in Williams for Larry Ely.  i have seen Mantzs' picture on the wall in a yuma hotel.

lee

Maybe just plain Coca Cola??

The POW camp, situated north of McDowell at about 60th St., was later used as a reserve training site. Had rifle range and everything. Used to pass it all the time when I was playing golf at Papago in the 1960s. 

That early version with Jimmy Stewart was better than the recent one. 

• Like 1

some difficult research trying to back myself up on 'Navajo coke'.  finally got to the bottom of it by calling an old native fellow at the Hubbell Trading Post.

ncoke.jpg.52d031c878a7faea8f4d357898c498f9.jpg

originally started off as Mission Beverages strawberry soda.

i knew it as strawberry Crush.

i can not substantiate my bullshit.  the gentleman at the trading post said Mission fruit drinks were quite popular but had never heard the term.

lee 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, biglakejake said:

I can not substantiate my bullshit.  the gentleman at the trading post said Mission fruit drinks were quite popular but had never heard the term.

Maybe it was Nehi orange soda ala Radar. 🍊😉