Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

questionable AZ history

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Maybe it was Nehi orange soda ala Radar. 🍊😉

How about Bargs’ or Stewart’s maybe? god we must be old talking about these sodas 

Good thread. Lee. Trivia and AZ history.... Here's another question...

There are two Earps of Wyatt's fame buried in AZ.

Who are they, where are they buried and how did they die?

48 minutes ago, Edge said:

Good thread. Lee. Trivia and AZ history.... Here's another question...

There are two Earps of Wyatt's fame buried in AZ.

Who are they, where are they buried and how did they die?

One was the youngest, died on a barroom floor in Wilcox, I believe. Don't know about the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

One was the youngest, died on a barroom floor in Wilcox, I believe. Don't know about the other.

If memory serves, Warren Earp. Literally brought a knife to a gunfight.

He's buried in Wicox but no one knows for certain which grave. Historians think they've narrowed down his plot to be one of four.

Who's the other Earp?

5 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Maybe it was Nehi orange soda ala Radar. 🍊😉

Radar's drink of choice was nehi grape if I remember right.....

I am trying to forget that I even know these things.

2 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Radar's drink of choice was nehi grape if I remember right.....

I am trying to forget that I even know these things.

You're right. I had a brain fart. 

3 hours ago, 360 0r Better said:

How about Bargs’ or Stewart’s maybe? god we must be old talking about these sodas 

I liked Bargs root beer. I also remember drinking Yoo-hoo chocolate soda in NJ during the 1950s. Yogi Berra and several other NY Yankees did an ad campaign for them. 

This is a great thread! I'm still new to AZ (3 years) but have loved reading about the history and hearing stories, even if they are mostly BS, they're still fun! I met an ole timer at Bass Pro and struck up a conversation about fly fishing, about an hour later he was telling me about the Apache Kid and the Sierra Madres

2 hours ago, WalkingBird said:

an hour later he was telling me about the Apache Kid

quite a tale.  orphaned apache youngster working in globe, becomes a sergeant of apache scouts, pisses off al seiber the white chief of scouts, ends up on alcatraz-really alcatraz!-and get released by the supreme court of the United States of America, and then things went downhill with gila county vigilantism, kills glenn reynolds.   the other book i wanted to write-there are lots of kid books.  the film 'apache' with burt lancaster as massai combines exploits of both kid and massai.

don't know about the earps-i disqualified myself by googling warren.

lee   

1 hour ago, biglakejake said:

quite a tale.  orphaned apache youngster working in globe, becomes a sergeant of apache scouts, pisses off al seiber the white chief of scouts, ends up on alcatraz-really alcatraz!-and get released by the supreme court of the United States of America, and then things went downhill with gila county vigilantism, kills glenn reynolds.   the other book i wanted to write-there are lots of kid books.  the film 'apache' with burt lancaster as massai combines exploits of both kid and massai.

don't know about the earps-i disqualified myself by googling warren.

lee   

I've made the trek to the Apache Kids grave. It's high in the San Mateo Mtns Wilderness above the ghost town of San Marcial/Ft Craig, NM.

The posse that shot up his gang beheaded him rather than carry his body back to town. His head was displayed in a jar in one of San Marcials businesses. Was lost in the flood that buried the town there off I-25.

Arizona native and love these topics! 😎

Growing up not far from this location, my dad used to tell us this story every time we drove by. A well known local, Short Jimmy McGuire walked into a saloon in Flagstaff and bought everyone drinks. He paid will gold coins, claiming he found the hidden cache of gold stolen by five outlaws along this famous stagecoach town. Often referred to as “tougher and meaner” than Tombstone. 

He died before anyone could find his location.