questionable AZ history

Just now, biglakejake said:

globe

Nope

11 minutes ago, 360 0r Better said:

Tombstone 

Nope

10 hours ago, Edge said:

Good thread. Lee. Trivia and AZ history.... Here's another question...

There are two Earps of Wyatt's fame buried in AZ.

Who are they, where are they buried and how did they die?

Warren Earp, killed and buried in Willcox.

Mattie Blaylock (Earp) was Wyatt’s common-law wife and often used the Earp name.  She is buried in Pinal City AZ near present day Superior.

7 minutes ago, Pine Donkey said:

Warren Earp, killed and buried in Willcox.

Mattie Blaylock (Earp) was Wyatt’s common-law wife and often used the Earp name.  She is buried in Pinal City AZ near present day Superior.

Yes

Sadie was his next common law wife, she was Jewish they were prohibited from marrying

16 hours ago, AZ8 said:

Arizona native and love these topics! 😎

Growing up not far from this location, my dad used to tell us this story every time we drove by. A well known local, Short Jimmy McGuire walked into a saloon in Flagstaff and bought everyone drinks. He paid will gold coins, claiming he found the hidden cache of gold stolen by five outlaws along this famous stagecoach town. Often referred to as “tougher and meaner” than Tombstone. 

He died before anyone could find his location.

Miami?

22 hours ago, biglakejake said:

quite a tale.  orphaned apache youngster working in globe, becomes a sergeant of apache scouts, pisses off al seiber the white chief of scouts, ends up on alcatraz-really alcatraz!-and get released by the supreme court of the United States of America, and then things went downhill with gila county vigilantism, kills glenn reynolds.   the other book i wanted to write-there are lots of kid books.  the film 'apache' with burt lancaster as massai combines exploits of both kid and massai.

don't know about the earps-i disqualified myself by googling warren.

lee   

I read Apache Wars a couple years before we moved out here while fishing near James Bay in Ontario, not knowing I'd be coming here later on in life. I forgot about the book until we were unpacking and spotted it. I've re-read it since and it's been really cool to read again with a better understanding of the places mentioned in the book and learning how rugged the terrain really is

https://www.amazon.com/Apache-Wars-Geronimo-Captive-American/dp/0770435831

Edited by WalkingBird
Added link to the book on Amazon

5 hours ago, WalkingBird said:

Miami?

No

22 hours ago, AZ8 said:

Arizona native and love these topics! 😎

Growing up not far from this location, my dad used to tell us this story every time we drove by. A well known local, Short Jimmy McGuire walked into a saloon in Flagstaff and bought everyone drinks. He paid will gold coins, claiming he found the hidden cache of gold stolen by five outlaws along this famous stagecoach town. Often referred to as “tougher and meaner” than Tombstone. 

He died before anyone could find his location.

Surprised no one got this, especially if you lived in NE Arizona. Anyways......it’s Canyon Diablo, AZ! Halfway between Winslow and Flagstaff.

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/az-canyondiablo/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canyon_Diablo,_Arizona

50 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

Surprised no one got this, especially if you lived in NE Arizona

there are rough-hewn railroad camps all around this big world-all the same.  i first read about diablo in AT & SF historical texts in the 1990's but never again(until the last 24 hours-thank you sir!).  you like diablo?  check out tsavo!(the movie was gawd-awful).  darn i know i am offending someone here but i am not trying to.

lee

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

there are rough-hewn railroad camps all around this big world-all the same.  i first read about diablo in AT & SF historical texts in the 1990's but never again(until the last 24 hours-thank you sir!).  you like diablo?  check out tsavo!(the movie was gawd-awful).  darn i know i am offending someone here but i am not trying to.

lee

Wild times along the 35th parallel. 😎

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canyon_Diablo_shootout

• Like 1

i remember reading about a train robbery in adamana and the robbers tried to hide out in caves in canyon diablo.  the law found them and they did not make it back to st johns for trial.

lee

2guns.thumb.jpg.0f5de68baf5438bcb181f9a97c8b7034.jpg

• Like 1

Man, that picture brings back memories while stopping and exploring the ruins.

Listening to dad tell us stories about Canyon Diablo kept us kids occupied as we drove to Flagstaff. I’m sure he embellished some details...haha....but he always had great stories about that place. Good times. Sure miss dad! 😢