AGFD Quail outlook 2019-2020

Logo

GAME AND FISH NEWS

Oct. 17, 2019

Quail outlook:
All signs point to better season in 2019-20
Winter moisture improves overall brood survival

Gambels_Quail_-_6.jpg

PHOENIX — Truth be told, Arizona’s quail hunters are also weather wonks — always checking the forecasts, particularly during the winter months, their fingers crossed that the wet stuff is on the way.  

After all, good doses of timely precipitation that time of year are what give the state’s Gambel’s and scaled quail populations a much-needed boost, which usually points to better hunting in the fall.   

Case in point: Winter 2018. 

“Unlike the past few years, when hatch dates were spread out over the spring and summer, strong winter precipitation patterns this last winter should have concentrated hatch dates for quail clutches,” said Johnathan O’Dell, small game biologist for the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

“More quail chicks on the ground at the same time usually correlates to better overall brood survival and more birds in coveys in the fall. Spring call counts around the state were up 125 percent from the 10-year average, so Gambel’s numbers and harvest should be better than last year’s numbers.”

Translation: Expect to find a few more birds to chase when the 2019-20 season opens Friday, Oct. 18.   

While there will be a few hot spots out there, O’Dell said hunters should prepare to put in the work to find them. 

“Anecdotal reports from hunters in recent years suggest that quail numbers and coveys vary by location, so it would be worthwhile to do some scouting,” he said. “Even with one good year of production — and hopefully more to come — statewide numbers will expectedly be lower than historical numbers, but hunting Gambel’s this fall should still be exciting.”

Meanwhile, hunters should note that the season for Mearns’ quail doesn’t begin until Dec. 6. It’s summer rainfall that plays a key role in nesting success and population numbers of this species. After a spotty and relatively weak monsoon across southern Arizona, these birds are likely to be abundant only in pockets that received sufficient precipitation this summer.       

A valid Arizona hunting or combination hunt and fish license is required for all hunters 10 and older. Those hunters under 10 must either have a valid hunting or combination hunt and fish license, or be accompanied by an adult who possesses a valid hunting or combination hunt and fish license. Licenses can be purchased online or at license dealers statewide. A youth combination hunt and fish license (ages 10 to 17) is $5.

The general bag limit is 15 quail per day in the aggregate, of which no more than eight may be Mearns’ quail (when the Mearns’ season opens Dec. 6). The general possession limit is 45 quail in the aggregate after opening day, of which no more than 15 Gambel’s, scaled or California quail in the aggregate may be taken in any one day. After the opening of the Mearns’ season, the 45-quail possession limit may include 24 Mearns’ quail, of which no more than eight may be taken in any one day.

More quail-hunting information can be found on the department’s website at www.azgfd.com/Hunting/. Another resource for both new and experienced hunters alike is “An Introduction to Hunting Arizona’s Small Game.” Written by Randall D. Babb, the 196-page, full-color book covers where and how to hunt small game birds (like quail), squirrels, rabbits, ducks and geese. It also includes how to prepare and cook your harvest, with illustrations and recipes. The book can be ordered for $16.95 at www.azgfd.gov/publications.

Finally, hunters should check out O’Dell’s techniques for field-dressing quail at www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gRwZAcWzzk.   

Cant wait to get out, unfortunately living in St George Utah, i will have to hunt the strip which doesn't seem to hold a lot of birds but i will be out tomorrow looking for them.

• Like 1

Out for the afternoon yesterday and didn't see or hear a bird in 20A. Vegetatation was thick due to all the prior rains. Heard a few shots in the distance so hopefully someone was having some luck.

Sounds like a few of you did well, i saw a few birds on the strip below St George but couldn't put any in the bag. I dont think there is a huge population where i was at, my son lives in Phoenix, him and his friend went out and did really well.

Interesting year for birds. Hunted the last 3 days and limited each day, but found that the populations were very spotty. I would find an area that had several big coveys, and then less than 10 miles away where I use to find lots of birds, it seemed that there were no young birds and very small coveys. 

IMG_3931.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Our experience was similar to your's, kfallsrob.    We hit some of our standard 'go-to' areas, with spotty results.  Came across a few very large coveys (like 100+ birds), which we always love to see on opening weekend, but then other spots had sparse 10-15 bird coveys.   Overall, it was pretty decent though.

Now I'm gonna focus on deer and elk over the next few weeks.  Will be interesting to see how the bird hunting shapes-up for the Dec-Jan cooler weather months. ;)

S.

6 hours ago, kfallsrob said:

Interesting year for birds. Hunted the last 3 days and limited each day, but found that the populations were very spotty. I would find an area that had several big coveys, and then less than 10 miles away where I use to find lots of birds, it seemed that there were no young birds and very small coveys. 

IMG_3931.jpg

Very impressive! Do you hunt with a dog? 

I have not hunted with a dog in a very long time. I do my best to take good in range shots and spend a lot of time looking for a downed bird before moving on. I lost a few birds due to hitting the ground and running before I get second shot off, but for the most part I recovered almost everything. A dog would be nice to have though:)

17 hours ago, stanley said:

Our experience was similar to your's, kfallsrob.    We hit some of our standard 'go-to' areas, with spotty results.  Came across a few very large coveys (like 100+ birds), which we always love to see on opening weekend, but then other spots had sparse 10-15 bird coveys.   Overall, it was pretty decent though.

Now I'm gonna focus on deer and elk over the next few weeks.  Will be interesting to see how the bird hunting shapes-up for the Dec-Jan cooler weather months. ;)

S.

I hear you. I'm going up to help out some friends with a deer hunt this weekend and then my son has a muzzy bull elk hunt after that. I will bring my shotgun this weekend though. Super distracting when there is quail all around while I'm glassing deer. LOL