0uTkAsT

Most recommended economical binos for glassing?

I'm inexperienced in this area and hoping to draw from your collective knowledge to choose a set of affordable, but decent, binoculars for spot-and-stalk hunting in AZ and NM. Embarrassingly, I bought a Razor HD rangefinder hoping that I could get by for a while using it for glassing, the logic being it has good quality optics and is tripod adaptable. However, after the first trip, I'm realizing I should have just stuck with the old hand-me-down Nikon Prostaff rangefinder I had and invested in binos instead because it's uncomfortable for me to look through the monocular for very long and the field of view is quite narrow. Live and learn I guess. 

Now I'm on a very limited budget because I over-spent on the rangefinder, so I would like to keep the price point below $350 if it's at all possible to get a decent set of glass for that kind of money. I can save up to go higher-end by next season if necessary, but it won't do me any good this season. I'd prefer to stick with Vortex for the warranty unless you all think it's best to deviate, and I guess my main concerns are field of view and being able to distinguish shapes and colors, even in deep shadows where game likes to hang out. Beyond that, I'm not sure what magnification or objective size I should be looking at, what product lines to consider or avoid, etc. 10x or 12x with 42mm or 50mm objectives seem to be the most versatile, but which to choose? Online reviews are overwhelmingly positive on the Crossfire HD and Diamondback HD lines, but are they really worth considering for hunting, or I need to be looking at something higher-end? I'm not particularly concerned about weight. It would be nice if it included a chest pouch, and not just a neck strap.

Despite the criteria above, I'm all ears for any suggestions, regardless of accessories or what I "think" I want or need at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I'm truly lost in all this, so thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction! 

There are some 12X50 vipers FS on here. Check with opotics planet as well. Save a little more $$ and get the best you can. Its Hard to get glass that is clear enough to not give you a headache for under $500. I'd go with 12's tripod is a must!!

I started my 'glassing career' with a decent set of Pentax 10x42's on a cheap Slik tripod.   In my early experience, basically ANY binoculars are way better on a tripod!  Tripod usage will open-up a whole new world for you!

Doug at Cameraland is the man!!! ;)

Good luck!

S.

• Like 2

might as well buy swarovski or leicas now. you will be eventually and youll lose as much value in 1 year on a pair of vortex as you will in 10 years with a pair of swarovskis 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

might as well buy swarovski or leicas now. you will be eventually and youll lose as much value in 1 year on a pair of vortex as you will in 10 years with a pair of swarovskis 

I agree, but if it's not in the budget then it's just not in the budget. OP, read as many reviews as you can. I think in that price range you're biggest challenge is going to find one that can be used with a tripod adapter.

• Like 1

If it was me, I would spend money on a good tripod and head. I really don't see much of a difference in binos in the $150-$500 range. I would look through as many as you can and pick the ones you like the best. Then start saving for high end optics if that is what you want. I killed a plenty of deer with a pair of $100 nikon binos  on a good tripod.  I wasted hundreds of dollars "upgrading" with mid grade optics. I wish I would have been patient and just saved until I got what I really wanted.

Edited by thegunsmith2506
because i have fat fingers and a tiny phone
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A coworker just bought a pair of 15x56 Cabela's intensity binos. I was impressed for the money. Hard to make much of an assessment while looking for 5 minutes but they seemed like a pretty good bargain. They are the best sub $500 15's that I've looked through by far. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

If it was me, I would spend money on a good tripod and head. I really don't see much of a difference in binos in the $150-$500 range. I would look through as many as you can and pick the ones you like the best. Then start saving for high end optics if that is what you want. I killed a plenty of deer with a pair of $100 nikon binos  on a good tripod.  I wasted hundreds of dollars "upgrading" with mid grade optics. I wish I would have been patient and just saved until I got what I really wanted.

This ^^^ 100%

• Like 2

OP says his main use will be spot and stalk. Hauling around 15x60’s will get old fast. 

• Like 1

I agree with trphyhntr but I disagree at the same time. I started with Walmart Bino’s that you could buy in the hard plastic that you had to cut off. Slowly made my way to swaro 15 hd’s. I pry spent 2-3 grand over a 15 year period. But I hunted every year! Just know that your gonna upgrade and be realistic about what your gonna want. I wasn’t and made my way up slow!

• Like 1

If you are a spot and stalk hunter I wouldn't get anything over 10X.  That way you can use them for glassing and while you are stalking too.  I would get something like a Vortex Viper or in that line and start saving money.  Just have the mindset that they will be temporary. 

• Like 1