Hatchet Jack

Packing in the big glass ever a bad idea??

this past year i bought a couple kowa 664s and made them into some 30x66 big eyes, they weigh 7 lbs.  They are phenomenal and it obviously really extends my effective glassing range while scouting in big country, but i've never used them to find animals i'm looking to shoot that particular trip.  I'm going to backpacking in 3-4 miles and staying the duration of my Nov 8th coues hunt, and i'm planning on hauling the kowas around to go with my 12x50 ELs.  i'm wondering if anybody has ever lugged around the extra weight of the big optics and found it was a waste of energy.  Also, do you guys find the high powered binos/btx to be more effective than 12/15x at finding bedded bucks midday?  I was thinking they may be nice to do really detailed glassing into the shadows at closer range.

Unless you are glassing miles away I would think your 12x50's would be more than enough. Weight really starts adding up on those type of hunts. 

• Like 2

why not just break down one spotter and run the single on the hunt? Im also packing into a spot during my hunt. Just packed in a few days worth of water last weekend. The weight does add up and the added weight of a deer on the way back out. 

I bought the BTX about 4 months ago and am not thrilled with it to be honest. I’ll be packing it this hunting season but most likely selling after. I think 15’s and a spotter is the ticket. I might change my mind after a full season of use but i really doubt it. 

19 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I bought the BTX about 4 months ago and am not thrilled with it to be honest. I’ll be packing it this hunting season but most likely selling after. I think 15’s and a spotter is the ticket. I might change my mind after a full season of use but i really doubt it. 

Interesting.  What are you finding that you dislike?

I just feel a little under powered even when I had 15s and was trying to find bedded deer or deer in heavy cover if it was anything over 1200 yds. And I can’t do the one eye glassing. I shoulda mentioned I have a buddy coming and we’re only packing one gun and the other can pack the kowas if I decide to take them.  The 2 bucks I’m targeting hang in pockets on either side of the canyon so I’m trying to get to points I can see it all but it requires me to start a little farther back then move in once I find them. I’ll probably pack them then at the very least I got some good exercise 😁

• Like 1

If you think you will need them, Take them.  I just got back from Alaska and decided to leave the spotters at home because of weight concerns and baggage fees.  That was a mistake and I regretted it more than once.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AZ8 said:

Interesting.  What are you finding that you dislike?

It’s awkward for me to use because of the angle. I don’t feel like i find any animals that i wouldn’t have found with 15’s and i miss having a big 70x zoom spotter. They’re cool and all, i just don’t think it’s for me. 

• Like 1

Yeah I think you guys are right I’ll regret if I dont take them. I looked through the btx on a 65 and it was really dim to me. I’ve really enjoyed the kowas and I’m hoping they’ll be handy for glassing bedding areas at that 1200-1800 yd range. 

If you dont take them and then wish that you had then you have an excuse, even though they wouldnt have made any difference.  😎