602Huntr

Unit 10 Cow Elk Help

I have a been a buddy who is on the cow elk hunt in unit 10 who needs some help.  He is north of Pica Camp and hasn’t found any elk... he’s been glassing and hitting it hard with nothing to show for... any help would be appreciated... 

Tell him to get the wind and to slowly walk thru the thickest junipers until he starts seeing fresh elk sign and be ready to shoot. The elk are brushed up super tight. If he's north of pica he's near elk. 

On 10/20/2019 at 12:28 PM, jim said:

Tell him to get the wind and to slowly walk thru the thickest junipers until he starts seeing fresh elk sign and be ready to shoot. The elk are brushed up super tight. If he's north of pica he's near elk. 

You ain’t lying hit robbers roost hard got on some but they were in the thickest nastiest stuff could never get a shot

• Like 1

That is what I have found on the ranch you might have a 4 mile square of trees but the herds will be living in a 20 acre section. You really have to break down the thick stuff and hunt the wind once the pressure gets on them.  

3 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

Water.  Find water.

Lance you are right but there is water everywhere in the ranch, i just left there, we were there since friday and saw nothing, 3 weeks ago we saw a herd of about 200 near a tank and they were gone during the hunt, talked to the G&F warden and he said that there are 725 tags and 250 youth overlap on same weekend, you got about 1000 tags so figure at least 2000 people around, too much pressure, we hiked the thickets and up high near that tank and couldn't find them.the water system on that ranch is great all the tanks are about a mile from each other.

And just think there are another 700+ tags in the first week of December. They are not doing the elk population many favors in that unit. There are still alot of elk but not even close to what could be there. 

• Like 1

yes, sit water, we finally found a tank that was wasent crawling with people sat it Monday evening spotted some cows 4 ridges back wind was perfect we get up to the 3rd ridge get my sons tripod out get him set up for a shot and here comes a truck from the opposite direction. All in all still a fun 6 days!

Any luck with your buddies hunt? Hunting the ranch, like everyone says is to find the thick stuff

Dang that's a bummer. I have the late rifle bull tag and I'll be on the ranch so was hoping to hear good results. Unit 10 isn't an easy unit to hunt