Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Who am I?

In 1854 my skull was cracked and I was shot in the back, carrying the pistol ball in me a quarter century until I died. I drank heavily and became addicted to morphine to mask the pain.

I migrated to AZ long before the Civil War and kept incredibly busy in my short life.   

I fought as the Confederate commander in the wars westernmost action but within months would be on the Unions payroll.

I fought Apaches from Pinos Altos to the Bradshaw Mtns, but adopted and raised two orphaned Apache children.

While on a prospecting trip with Henry Wickenburg and others, I refused to leave the trail and investigate a quartz outcropping near the Hassayampa River. Henry left our party behind and that outcropping became the Vulture Mine.

I discovered Rich Hill and the Potato Patch helping to create the AZ Gold Rush. Two gold nuggets I gave to General James Carelton, he would later place in the hands of President Abraham Lincoln.

I died 1878, in miserable conditions, incarcerated for a crime I did not commit, dying just days before being exonerated.

16 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I was going to guess Weaver from the "Rich Hill and the Potato Patch" cite , but some of the other stuff you listed doesn't jive with him. 

That would have been my guess also.

8 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

That would have been my guess also.

His and Weavers life were often interwoven.

I operated a flour mill with Charles Hayden in Tucson before we both settled in what is now Maricopa County. 

I used money from my Rich Hill gold finds to start a sprawling farm in the atea where Sky Harbor exists today, yet I appear to be totally forgotten!!!

Remains of my ranch house in the area of Gillete, Black Canyon City can still be seen today.

3 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Maybe Jack Swilling then.

JustJack_Swilling.JPG.39214a49fa0178bfe645618cf7d9346e.JPG the founder of Phoenix, AZ, thank you.

6 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Maybe Jack Swilling then.

Maybe so, but I don't believe he was along when Wickenberg found the Vulture. Then again, I could be all goofy. :blink:

2 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Maybe so, but I don't believe he was along when Wickenberg found the Vulture. Then again, I could be all goofy. :blink:

The Walker party included Swilling and Wickenburg. They left the Black Canyon area to investigate rumors of a rich gold vein in the Harquahala Mtns. 

From the account I read, I believe Joseph Walker's Diary, they were enroute to the Harquahala's while traveling just west of the Hassayampa R.

Wickenburg saw the outcropping from the trail but couldn't convince the others to divert some and investigate. 

On their way back from the Harquahalas, again Wickenburg urged the men to head the short distance to the quartz location but Swilling and Walker declined saying they were only interested in getting back to the Bradshaws where they knew gold was in abundance. Wickenburg then left  Walker and Swilling.

35 minutes ago, Edge said:

The Walker party included Swilling and Wickenburg. They left the Black Canyon area to investigate rumors of a rich gold vein in the Harquahala Mtns. 

From the account I read, I believe Joseph Walker's Diary, they were enroute to the Harquahala's while traveling just west of the Hassayampa R.

Wickenburg saw the outcropping from the trail but couldn't convince the others to divert some and investigate. 

On their way back from the Harquahalas, again Wickenburg urged the men to head the short distance to the quartz location but Swilling and Walker declined saying they were only interested in getting back to the Bradshaws where they knew gold was in abundance. Wickenburg then left  Walker and Swilling.

Cool. Thanks. 

• Like 1

I had that account cited on my phone which crashed. It's available online thru UA History of the SW archives. When I find it I'll pm you a link if you'd like. Great stuff in there.