Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Last Week Trip To Louisiana

I had a few days off left after returning from Texas hunting hogs with my son so I flew to New Orleans to spend a few days with one of my brothers and catch up with old friends. We managed to fish on Saturday and Sunday targeting Speckled Trout.

The water was unusually high after a storm pushed water into the marsh from the gulf and about 11:00 Sunday morning on our way back into Bayou Blue we saw a few gulls diving and shrimp jumping so we killed the motor and drifted closer. I lost one trout and my brother caught a nice one that was about 18" just before another boat came up on us and died. He kept cranking the motor and when it would start he revved it up and drifted into us which blew the fish out.

After a few tries he managed to get it running and left. We continued to drift and cast and about 10 minutes my cork went under and this Redfish started the first of five runs. After about 3-5 minutes we were able to get him into the net. He measured 27 1/2" and I guessed his weight to be about 10 pounds and into the cooler he went. I was using a Ugly Stick with a spinning reel and 20# Floroclear and a Vudu Shrimp about 2' under a Four Horseman Popping Cork, https://www.cajunlures.com/products/four-horseman-popping-cork?variant=19840418840638 . I had a 6:50 flight to catch so we headed back to the boat ramp. Along the way we came across the same guy and his motor had died and he was using his trolling motor to get back to the ramp, which was about 3 miles away. We offered him a tow since there was no way he was going to get back on his trolling motor. Odd thing was he didn't attempt to flag us down, not sure what he was thinking since he had two other people in the boat with him.

20191020_113459.jpg

20191020_124413.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

That's a beauty!  I hear they are great eating though never seen or tasted one. 

Very similar to snapper. Louisiana probably has the most liberal creel limit of 5 per day but they must be 15" and only one can be over 27". When they exceed 27" they are referred to as Bull Reds.

The one in my avatar was about 37" and was released to fight another day. That one was caught on dead shrimp on the bottom and I fought it for 20 minutes before it rolled and I could identify what it was. We initially thought it might have been a Bull Shark.

• Like 1