Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Amanda's Elk Hunt - Humbled

This year my wife drew her 3rd Antlerless Elk Tag.  We have also hunted there with my son on a youth hunt.  I've also had one tag for this unit.  Of those 5 tags we have filled one, mine about 6 years ago which was kind of dumb luck.  I thought I was a decent elk hunter but this unit has served us some humble pie for the last 3 hunts.  I'll keep it short but we didn't really see much at all.  We tried glassing, sitting water, and still hunting and we only saw some elk on one day.  That was mostly due to some assistance we got from CatfishKev.  Saw a herd up on a knob but by the time we got to where we could possibly get a shot they were long gone down in a deep canyon.  Went back to that same area later that evening but we only saw a couple from a long ways off and no time to get there before the sun went down.  Sitting water was fruitless.  The areas we still hunted were not productive.  Not sure if I just suck at helping or I'm just not very good when I can't chase bugles but we had very little action in general. 

The hunt was not a complete bust though.  Got to meet a forum member in the field and hunt together a bit which was very cool.  Thanks again Kevin!  My father in law from Indiana joined us in the field one day and it was his first time seeing javelina.  My wife and her Dad started up the hill while I was parking the truck and they walked themselves right into the middle of a herd.  Wish I was there to see that but glad they had a little excitement together.  I guess the boar in the herd was not too happy that they got in between him and his sows and made quite a ruckus about it, running back and forth trying to protect his herd.  We also met Dale and Heather from Wild Heritage at their place returning some sticks that Kevin had borrowed from them.  They tried to help us but the area they recommended we try did not pan out.

I was reluctant to post this lack of success, especially after seeing these reports of youth success and others filling their tags, but maybe this might help us learn something for next time.  Probably didn't really help that the elk had been stirred up from the youth elk and deer hunters, pushing them into their comfort zones where easy opportunities were few and far between.  It is what it is.  I can admit that I basically suck at elk hunting when the rut isn't going off and I can't chase bugles. 

• Like 10

Glad you were able to get out with the family! Hunting humbles all of us at times, just when we think we are starting to get it figured out, nature kicks us junk. Thanks for sharing, I enjoy hearing about hunts like these very bit as much as the kill stories.

• Like 1

The best part was spending quality time with my bride.  She is a trooper!  She has worked her butt off to get comfortable behind the gun and has gotten herself in much better physical condition to do this stuff.  The Good Lord made things tough for her to shoot being left eye dominant and right handed but she has learned to overcome that challenge although she is not comfortable at long range which cause us some challenges.  Nonetheless she never quit.

Good effort man.  Last couple have years up there seemed to have been a little tougher on the youth hunts.  It's like the only thing those powerlines produce anymore are 200 inch mule deer! 

No shame in it. You tried and as stated that's hunting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone has tough hunts. Those are some of the best in terms of learning about being humble and learning about yourself. I know you haven't mentioned the unit number on purpose, but I am sure if you draw it again someone from here will be willing to share some insight and info.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoss50 said:

Everyone has tough hunts. Those are some of the best in terms of learning about being humble and learning about yourself. I know you haven't mentioned the unit number on purpose, but I am sure if you draw it again someone from here will be willing to share some insight and info.

The one with "the powerlines".

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Heat said:

Yes sir.  Solid dude.  Risked the wrath of the little lady at home to help us.

I hear she's one great women..

Good times even if she didn't shoot one.  The hunting memories are made from everything, irregardless of success.

You should see the box of "unpunched" tags I have. 😁

• Like 2