Sign in to follow this  
Ohthatguy

Warning about checking on-line bear info

So if you are checking with GnF to find out if bear is still open in a particular unit, and you use the website, I strongly suggest you actually download and save the latest report. It seems that I have been up in 23N looking for bears to.... film... while the unit was closed to hunting. (And I made very sure that I actually downloaded the current file and was not viewing a saved file)

From the GnF website:  Before each hunting trip, make sure you verify that the unit is still open. View black bear female harvest limit information and unit status or call toll-free 1-800-970-2327. 

It clearly states that you can view the status on line or call.

As of yesterday, Oct 22nd, the website showed 23N was still open but today, it indicates that it closed last week on Wed the 16th at sundown. I spoke with a friend that uses the hotline and he said that the Tuesday before last, Oct 15th, 23N was to close at sundown on Wednesday the 16th.

Several weeks ago I spoke with GnF about the timelines and she said that if the info has not been updated by 9:00PM on Wednesday, you are good to go at least till the following Wednesday. 

I did save the info from on line but it could  have made for some interesting conversations and or visits after calling in a bear on a closed unit. (If I was hunting)

If you killed one in 23N this last week and they give you any grief, I'd fight it. (My guess is they would be cool with it anyhow)

I'm just glad they don't do the draw or anything important on line..   :wacko:

EDIT: I just spoke with GnF and they say that you must call the hotline. It does state in the Regs, Bear note #2, that you must call the hotline. I did let them know that their website clearly indicates that either method is allowed.

I’ve glassed bears on deer hunts and dialed the hotline before. I’ve gotten the let down of it being closed and the high of it was still open. I hope they don’t expect us to check both online and the hotline.