Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

Tough early hunt

My partner drew an early tag while deployed and we started to plan by encrypted message. Between the military and his work the scouting was up to me and range time would be tough, leave it to Brian to have a new bow shipped overseas so he would be ready. Bowtec had the bow all set and ready to shoot with arrows and release. Great company, they sent the release and arrows on their own. 

We hit the mountain a week early and did some OTC deer and bear while scouting around our main camp. Had an exciting full draw moment on a good bear but just couldn't get a clear shot. Only made one stalk on a deer but it was a two hour show through the binos so that was fun. 

Bulls were talking only in the evenings and they were pretty spread out and seemed to be alone and in the thick stuff. We packed the mules "thanks Tim for loaning me his mule" and made a remote camp way up the mountain. 5 days of really good although butt kicking high country elk hunting had Brian at full draw a few times but no shots. Next up was 30 hours of rain and some cabin fever followed by silence,,,,yep no more bugles and we kept running into hunters. Other than the first few days this was one tough slow hunt, we ground out the entire hunt to the last day and only had one more opportunity on a bull, of course a quad came rolling in and blew him out. Really happy to have spent 3 weeks in the hills but man was this a tough hunt. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

A little unsettling to have a lightning started forest fire near camp. The 30 hour straight rain took care of it a few days later. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Ya we were a little surprised as this was a premium tag, just bad timing I think. 

With all the rain the mules had some tender feet so we had to change plans and we struggled with the new areas. Everything I scouted was off limits without the mules.