Sundevils79

Shooting from a boat in NM

I killed my Idaho moose from a boat.  There it just has to not be under power, which since we were floating a river is essentially never.  Saw plenty I could have shot right from the boat but was off of it when I killed my bull coolest pack out ever though!!  I really wanna hear the story behind this and a NM hunt!  

7F785599-9450-45CF-BC2E-EDA8146045A9.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KoosCrazy said:

Yes it is legal to shoot from boat.  Boat has to be stationary or not moving from a power of engine.  If you look in the rules and refs on their website you can read the exact rule.  The whole lake probably isn’t state park only a portion just like Elephant butte.  Call the lake to get where you can and can’t.

Are you talking about the state park website? If so, please post a link to the page. 

I got a call back from the superintendent of the Navajo Lake State Park yesterday. I had called him to get clarification on this issue, and we had a nice discussion. 

He said that as long as a permit holder obeys the NMGFD rule on shooting from a boat and the NSP rules about being safe distances from any campgrounds or other improvements, shooting a rifle at a deer on shore from a non-moving boat is legal in those parts of the park that are open to deer hunting. But he also stressed that hunters should be concerned with safety such as background and fishermen in nearby boats. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 10:48 AM, Outdoor Writer said:

I got a call back from the superintendent of the Navajo Lake State Park yesterday. I had called him to get clarification on this issue, and we had a nice discussion. 

He said that as long as a permit holder obeys the NMGFD rule on shooting from a boat and the NSP rules about being safe distances from any campgrounds or other improvements, shooting a rifle at a deer on shore from a non-moving boat is legal in those parts of the park that are open to deer hunting. But he also stressed that hunters should be concerned with safety such as background and fishermen in nearby boats. 

Not surprised, ask 3 different people over there and you’ll get 3 different answers.