Congrats on a great buck. Gotta love the grey color of them san carlos bucks. I'm looking for a blueish/grey cape like that.

• Like 1

Congratulations on a very nice buck!!

• Like 1

Thank you for the congratulations everyone, still can't believe it really happened.

Well it started off as a very chilly morning, we hiked in and got to our spot just as it was light enough to see and set up. A target clearing straight out in front of us and two smaller clearings to either side. We both picked a side to watch and the chill set in. Wind wasn't too bad but started to act up as the first hour went by. I suppose we picked up some luck with low creeping smoke from surrounding prescribed burns slowly filling the area.

Another hour gone and after a little stretching and shuffling to stay warm and comfy, i feel a tap on my shoulder and Ashley has a buck coming in to our right. I can see he's at least a mature 3pt and take a closer look, 90" buck with decent length but spindly. I let her know he's a mature 3pt but not the big guy we're after and ask if she wants to take him. She hesitates for a few moments and then perhaps due to the cold chill she says "yea i'll take him". So we start getting set up in his direction as he's feeding in, then out of the corner of my eye i catch movement to our left. I notice it's another mature buck in the clearing straight out in front of us but he puts his head down just as i focus in. His head comes back up and what do you know it's the Big Guy!!!

I immediately go into panic mode and start to set Ashley up in his direction shushing at her while i'm the one making all the noise LOL. We ( i ) calm down and the buck starts to feed again to his left giving her a perfect broadside shot. She makes a great shot right behind the front leg and he goes into the classic diving run, hitting the ground several yards away as we both jump up in excitement. After a finishing shot, Ashley has her first coues deer and i close the book on a beautiful buck that i've had the pleasure to watch for the last few years.

Here's a few pictures of him from 2017 when he was a typical 5x4, 2018 when he was almost a typical 5x5, and from this year. He's always had a 4x4 frame but this year he definitely put on the mass, 33"s to be exact. Rough tape of 120 7/8".

DAN

coues2017.jpg

coues2018.JPG

coues2019.JPG

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1