Sign in to follow this  
double lunger14

My Biggest Coues Yet.

I was fortunate enough to take my biggest coues buck to date this last Saturday along side two of my very good buddies Patrick and Trey. I wanted to hunt a new area that I have always thought would hold a good buck or two. I’ve just been very hesitant to go up in there because the country is so rugged. Saturday started off early. Our alarms went off at 3:15 am and it was finally game time. I was very excited as this was my first coues Hunt since my last one in 2016. We started hiking at 4:30am and finally arrived to our glassing spot just before 6:15am. 45 minutes into glassing I found what looked like a deer. Sure enough it was a little buck. I was excited to see this deer cause up till then all we had seen is one doe. As I was looking at this little guy I noticed a deer in a shadow underneath him. I zoned in on this deer and he finally picked his head up and right away I knew he was a good buck. I quickly called Patrick and trey to head over to where I was at. Patrick and trey finally got to me and we busted out our big glass and started examine this buck. After about 10 minutes of looking I knew I wanted to kill this deer. He and his two buddies ended up bedding at about 8am. After coming up with a game plan, Patrick and I bailed off the mountain as trey stayed back to keep eyes on the deer. An hour or so later Patrick and I finally got to the spot where we thought we could get a shot. 5 minutes into glassing Patrick finds him bedded 515 yards away. We quickly set up the 28 nosler on a rock and I settle in. Boom! My first shot goes off. Patrick says “you hit high shoot again”. I rack another round on and try to find the buck again. I finally found him still laying there in the same spot. I settle in again.... BOOM! Patrick again says “dude you hit high again aim lower!” At this time the buck is standing and is aware something is not right. I’m startled because the scope is dialed into exactly what the dope sheet says and I’m laying prone as steady as can be. BOOM! I shoot again this time hitting low. At this point the buck is terrified and knows something is not right. He runs down the mountain 30 yards and I find him again. BOOM! WHACK!!! I could hear the billet finally connect. Patrick is telling me “you hit him you hit him!” Finally a sign of relief on my end. The buck runs down the mountain 200 yards where he finally expired in a patch of oak trees. Patrick and I load up our gear and call trey on the radio to tell him to head on over that we had got the buck. It took Patrick and I about 45 minutes to get across the canyon to my deer. I finally got to him and I was in disbelief that i had just killed this beautiful coues buck. Trey finally got to us about an hour or so later and we quickly took pics and then started on cutting the deer up to get off the mountain. We finally got back to camp where we met up with my dad. He was nice enough to drive all the way out to camp to bring up some steaks to celebrate my best coues yet. Special thanks to Patrick and Trey. I couldn’t have done it without you guys!!! Special thanks to my dad Steve for coming out and bringing us food! 🤣🤣. Hope you all enjoy the pics. 

Steven

48A4B764-DF8C-48EB-8C90-9B4674D2B277.jpeg

44DD1156-E706-445D-BBBE-76A1B529109A.jpeg

0DAC43B7-1CB9-4321-A8A4-11ED016544CB.jpeg

999D3E22-86FE-42B0-A8E2-E9F4D7E43A9C.jpeg

BB41A662-6E40-403A-9F3A-F11BEE6CC547.jpeg

6F3702A3-6D69-40BD-8EB2-90C044863F89.jpeg

E7E40C84-DB95-4FA8-ABBE-E50FE20B842E.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Great Buck! 3
  • Wow! 6

that is a dandy of a buck, thanks for the write up

I like to wait until the deer stands up out of its bed, a laying buck is tricky 

• Like 1

Thats a beautiful buck! He looks completely different at every angle, very cool. 

• Like 1

What an absolute stud. Beautiful buck has a little bit of everything. 

• Like 1

Fantastic! Congratulations on an excellent buck!! Thanks for sharing your story and pics!  Very nice!

• Like 1