Sign in to follow this  
azdbllung

WTB- Good Radar Detector

Hard to consider it a 'trap' if there is adequate distance to safely slow from current speed to the next posted speed.  Speed limits don't exist for what you may think is reasonable and prudent... they exist for the safety of the greater population... most of which, from my experience, are not reasonable, prudent or safe drivers to begin with.

Sure there are cops who are gonna sit on the off-ramps or right behind the '35mph' sign... but that is far from the majority.

Here is Texas they recently outlawed Red Light Cameras-- probably a good thing because there are all sorts of constitutional issues... BUT- in the months since then... we've seen traffic crashes and fatalities DOUBLE on the city streets.

So- BLUF- there is a reason why traffic laws are enforced.

4 hours ago, duckhunter175 said:

Hmmm....have a source for this statement?

4 hours ago, duckhunter175 said:

Here is Texas they recently outlawed Red Light Cameras-- probably a good thing because there are all sorts of constitutional issues... BUT- in the months since then... we've seen traffic crashes and fatalities DOUBLE on the city streets.

So- BLUF- there is a reason why traffic laws are enforced.

I have a Valentine 1 that has been sitting in my closet for many years.

It works and I sent it to get the update a few years back.  I just drive old man cars now and don't need it anymore.

The fun racing is over for me.  I will sell it to you.  Just make me a reasonable offer.

I know I paid over $550 for it but that was years ago.  Plus upgrade was $99.

I have no idea how I messed my last post up, but what I am asking DH175 if s/he has a source to support traffic accidents and fatalities doubled in a few months?

Of course, 2 could go to 4 and that's doubling, but I'm hoping the population and sample size is meaningful.

Eddie

P.S. There is no posted speed limit on 60% of the Autobahn yet it has a lower death rate per 100 million miles driven.  Speed is not the problem.

1 hour ago, eddielasvegas said:

I have no idea how I messed my last post up, but what I am asking DH175 if s/he has a source to support traffic accidents and fatalities doubled in a few months?

Of course, 2 could go to 4 and that's doubling, but I'm hoping the population and sample size is meaningful.

Eddie

P.S. There is no posted speed limit on 60% of the Autobahn yet it has a lower death rate per 100 million miles driven.  Speed is not the problem.

Have you been on the Bahn? The whole driving culture over there is COMPLETELY different--- they also have speed cameras at interchanges and dangerous areas where limits do exist-- like our red light cameras but with less regard for due process-- if the Cam catches your plate and you are just a few KM over... TICKET.  It's called deterrence.

I work for a city of 300,000-- since the change our accidents are up 50% and fatalities doubled.  Houston banned them earlier and saw 30% increase in fatalities and 116% increase in accidents. Austin put cameras in  (pre-ban) at key 'problem' intersections and reduced accidents 40%.  

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/06/05/more-people-will-die-as-a-result-of-texas-red-light-camera-ban/

Most people are short sighted and get pissed at a citation or $50 red light fine... imagine how pissed they are when the deterrence is gone and they get SMASHED at an intersection and now deal with lingering injuries, insurance claims, etc... and god forbid they get hit by someone without insurance and they don't have comp. Red light wrecks are generally pretty catastrophic.

In the same context-- speed is the #1 cause of accidents on the highway-- I see it again and again first hand- cell phones don't help but it's the folks going too fast that make the rest of the roadway unpredictable and then they can't react fast enough to fix things either....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, duckhunter175 said:

Have you been on the Bahn? The whole driving culture over there is COMPLETELY different--- they also have speed cameras at interchanges and dangerous areas where limits do exist-- like our red light cameras but with less regard for due process-- if the Cam catches your plate and you are just a few KM over... TICKET.  It's called deterrence.

I work for a city of 300,000-- since the change our accidents are up 50% and fatalities doubled.  Houston banned them earlier and saw 30% increase in fatalities and 116% increase in accidents. Austin put cameras in  (pre-ban) at key 'problem' intersections and reduced accidents 40%.  

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/06/05/more-people-will-die-as-a-result-of-texas-red-light-camera-ban/

Most people are short sighted and get pissed at a citation or $50 red light fine... imagine how pissed they are when the deterrence is gone and they get SMASHED at an intersection and now deal with lingering injuries, insurance claims, etc... and god forbid they get hit by someone without insurance and they don't have comp. Red light wrecks are generally pretty catastrophic.

In the same context-- speed is the #1 cause of accidents on the highway-- I see it again and again first hand- cell phones don't help but it's the folks going too fast that make the rest of the roadway unpredictable and then they can't react fast enough to fix things either....

See, If our tickets here in AZ were $50, then you probly wouldnt be hearing us bitch about it. But when a stupid Camera ticket here costs $298....They can kick rocks!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lucafu1 said:

I feel naked when I am driving w/o a radar detector. I move with a purpose.

Which one do you use?