Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Anyone driven the Apache Trail recently, please pm me

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

man those hikers that started the fire really f'd up. seen a few nice coues off it over the years. 

Where did you hear it was hikers? It looked like it started by a road away from any trails. 

3 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

This hits home for me. I have very few memories with my father and a lot are on that road or on Apache lake.

Me too.  In 1992, my dad had me drive this road at night when I was 13.  We just finished up building my grandmothers porch in Eloy, AZ and took the trail to Roosevelt and then to Young and on into Holbrook.  He took over when we got to the 260.  The Globe/Young road had snow and ice as well and I was sliding around and banging into bar ditches.  He always liked to take different routes to get places.  Driving the highways is boring and everyone does that.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, azgutpile said:

Where did you hear it was hikers? It looked like it started by a road away from any trails. 

I don’t remember, if guess I just assumed? Did they ever catch the people?

And it was a weak monsoon season. Imagine if it was a normal season. Probably would be worse!

Just now, Ohthatguy said:

Inciweb currently says cause unknown but I thought sparks from chains were suspected early on. 

At the Woodbury trailhead!? That don’t make sense 

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

I don’t remember, if guess I just assumed? Did they ever catch the people?

I thought it was hikers also. 

Inciweb started off early stating human caused at Woodbury trailhead. Later it was changed to unknown. Human means just that, any human. I've met more solid hiking humans than some other folks so I would lean toward tweakers out late in some stolen car lighting fireworks. 

The roads will be taken care of , way too much history and sightseers using that place not to. I see more cars on that road than anything else. Apache is my favorite lake in az.