Sign in to follow this  
Camo

Border units vs. Central unit Coues

Initially I was focusing on units 21, 22, 23. After not drawing an early season 23 tag and now realizing I didn't draw a January javelina tag, I'm re-assessing my options. It appears that the southern units offer a lot more tags/pressure but that might be relative to deer abundance? All things being equal, should I re-direct my attention to the southern/border units? With the logistics I'm working with, I initially ruled out the additional 3+ hours to go south. On the other hand, I'm driving that far, what's another 3 hours? My intention is to be somewhere in January to bow scout in the hopes that I can draw a future rifle tag. Thanks for any thoughts.

19 minutes ago, dustin25 said:

I’d pick wherever you live closest to so you can spend time really learning the unit.theres great coues area all over central and south az

He is coming from Washing State.

There is some very good coues hunting to be had in border units so if you're willing to drive a couple extra hours you can get into some good habitat. Last year I moved to the north end of 34A and have been getting out when I can to learn the new areas and it's been fun. I also know a couple people way south (like Hereford) that have a good line on what the deer are doing. Let me know if I can be of any help. January is a great time to hunt the high desert here. The elevation gets up to about 5000 ft and up as you go further south so if you plan to be hiking the ridges I'd start preparing for it as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Prdatr is right.. great coues all over the state.  The unit in my opinion is related to what style of hunt you want and can handle. You like high country or desert? Glassing,sitting, packing in etc.  The country will also dictate which options are worthwhile.  I’ve seen 100+ deer in nearly every unit I’ve been in 10+. 

Thanks for the responses. SWcruiser, I don't know what I am looking for yet. Having never been there I have no idea what I'm in for. Just looking for an adventure with the highest possible odds at a respective specimen for the hunt. I enjoy spending time behind glass and look forward to learning how to do it properly, in new to me country. I hunt my home state, spend a fair bit of time in Idaho, some Montana and Wyoming. I have the backpacking gear and a quad if necessary(though prefer not to tow it down). I don't fall into the demographic of the modern day "mountain athlete" by any stretch, so 3-5 miles depending on terrain is a realistic limit as I enjoy the pursuit much more than the suck. 

My goal is to find a hunt to do most every year without the uncertainty of trying to get leftover tags. I have learned the value of the loyalty point which I am 4 years out on, and will be figuring out the logistics to get the education point going forward. Running solo, I am moderately concerned about camping in the 35's, though it sounds like things are better now than in previous years. 36's, though seemingly great units are off my radar. Pretty much exploring every option that closely guarantees me a tag.

I admit, not having been there, I am easily swayed by information from Jay Scott, Duwane Adams, this forum as well a couple others less in tune with this topic. I made a big mistake in the previous draw not paying attention to the AZGFD draw analytics and relying on the generic published draw odds. It cost me having a rifle tag of some sort this season. I hope everyone is having a great season and hunting instead of reading this.

The southern units are easier to draw due to illegal immigrants crossing the border. They will steal water from your campsite at night and generally freak people out. Hunters with experience camp at the northern end of their units and hunt south to avoid uninvited guests. There has been a huge border patrol presence the past couple years down there though so hopefully this will become less of an issue in the future.

On 11/6/2019 at 6:46 AM, trphyhntr said:

There might be good bucks in all the units but youll see 10x or more the amount of deer in the southern units than you will in the central units. 

I figured it was better for quantity but definitely did not expect 10x.

22 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

If you decide on 35a pm me. 

I will definitely do that, greatly appreciated.

Battling with 33 as a first choice when I have a point with 34/35 as a second, or if I'm better off just learning one unit that I can continuously hunt. Leaning towards the later.

Hoping to make the most out of a January scouting trip.

5 hours ago, Setcams4u said:

The southern units are easier to draw due to illegal immigrants crossing the border. They will steal water from your campsite at night and generally freak people out. Hunters with experience camp at the northern end of their units and hunt south to avoid uninvited guests. There has been a huge border patrol presence the past couple years down there though so hopefully this will become less of an issue in the future.

Lol what??

1 hour ago, Camo said:

I figured it was better for quantity but definitely did not expect 10x.

I will definitely do that, greatly appreciated.

Battling with 33 as a first choice when I have a point with 34/35 as a second, or if I'm better off just learning one unit that I can continuously hunt. Leaning towards the later.

Hoping to make the most out of a January scouting trip.

If you are an archery junkie and would prefer to go that way during a rifle hunt and hunt an archery only area DEFINATELY pm me.  

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

If you are an archery junkie and would prefer to go that way during a rifle hunt and hunt an archery only area DEFINATELY pm me.  

I can see where being an archery junkie could be very advantageous at the moment? You've got my attention. Truth be told, I am a junkie of opportunity, therefore, I hunt all three weapon choices as it offers the most opportunity in my "very questionable on many levels" home state. Spending most of my time out of state in recent years has consisted mostly of archery elk and rifle whitetail or mule deer pending state.