Curtis Reed

Any Ford Techs in here?

I ran into a problem... wife drives a 2011 Escape and it’s leaking trans fluid from the front driver’s axle seal. I bought a new seal and bushing.  I removed the axle and seal, but in order to remove the bushing, I need a special tool (308-070). The tool costs around $200 and I only need it for about 20 min. Wondering if there are any Ford techs in the valley who have the tool and can rent it to me for a day?  I called all the local dealerships but they won’t rent tools. 

Do the auto parts stores rent it? O'Reilly and autozone rent alot of tools. 

Autozone should have it in there tool loan /borrow program. It may not have that tool number on it just tell them what you are doing and they should have a bushing puller set. 

What makes you think the bushing is bad in the transaxle? Unless you have way north of 150k on it it’s probably not bad. Might want to look at the engine/transmission mounts to see if they are sagged or broken as this can cause seals to leak because of the mounts being worn. The quick test for sagged/ worn mounts open the hood start engine put in drive foot on brake? Does the engine seem smooth and no vibration felt in the steering wheel? Now put in reverse, did the feel change/ vibration reduced or gone? Sagged mount if part two is true.

broken mounts do the same thing except when in gear and foot on brake fairly hard stab the gas pedal about half way and check for the engine raising up and dropping back down. Do this in drive and reverse if you see the engine move up under the torque load and drop back down mounts are broken 

I have a bearing puller... it’s not doing the job.  The bushing and seal leaking is a common problem with that trans. They made an updated kit fix which includes a new bushing, seal and axle shaft - which I bought.  

22 hours ago, ctracingraptor said:

I’ve got the tool, and yes I’ll let you borrow it. Let me know txt 602-568-1418

Doh!  Two days too late.... lol. I ended up getting this set from Amazon and it worked like a charm and fit perfect. Thank you so much for the offer though.  That was very kind of you

WINMAX TOOLS AUTOMOTIVE 16pc Blind Hole Pilot Bearing Puller Internal & Extractor Remove w/Slide Hammer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017XDLDDY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_sfIWDb1BHBRX6

• Like 1