Sign in to follow this  
Richard Wilhelm

37A history

34 minutes ago, Richard Wilhelm said:

Hopefully this is the correct forum for my question. Does anyone on here know how to get deer hunting statistics for unit 37A in Arizona for 1940'2 and 1950's ??

As I mentioned in my other reply, I doubt you'll find anything.

Deer hunting in those two decades was based statewide. A hunter bought a tag and hunted wherever he wanted, other than the North Kaibab. The permit system didn't go into effect until 1971-72 or so. Thus, there's no way of knowing how many hunted in 37A or what the success rate and actual harvest were. And I'm pretty sure they weren't sending out survey cards way back then. 

You are right about the 1971 permit startup, I was hunting here in Arizona when the permit system started in 1971. However, 37A was on permit long before that. It was a

special study area of the GandF  and in the late 1960's was authorized for only 300 permits and was hard to draw out for. In the earlier 1960's before doe hunting was stopped it was good for 500 any deer permits. What I am really trying to determine is exactly when the permits were instituted for the unit and why. I thought that since the GandF Dept. was involved, they would know, but no such luck. I got drawn for the unit in 1971, and 1974 and got 2 very good bucks. looonnngggg time ago, LOL.

13 hours ago, Richard Wilhelm said:

You are right about the 1971 permit startup, I was hunting here in Arizona when the permit system started in 1971. However, 37A was on permit long before that. It was a

special study area of the GandF  and in the late 1960's was authorized for only 300 permits and was hard to draw out for. In the earlier 1960's before doe hunting was stopped it was good for 500 any deer permits. What I am really trying to determine is exactly when the permits were instituted for the unit and why. I thought that since the GandF Dept. was involved, they would know, but no such luck. I got drawn for the unit in 1971, and 1974 and got 2 very good bucks. looonnngggg time ago, LOL.

I wasn't interested in that area, so never paid much attention to that special hunt. Still, I doubt that was going on in the '40s & '50s. It's a wonder there are many deer in it now since it's gotten so built up in so many places.   

If I get time this week, I'll make a call and see if I can find out anything for you.

Nice. Love them old pics. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1