lancetkenyon

Rifles are Ready (AKA: Hammer Bullets Are Accurate!)

Went out today for one last LR verification.  I think Taylor is ready.  She smoked a squirrel @ 741 yards on a cold bore shot with her 6.5SLR, on video. 

Shot the rifle from 545 to 910.  All very good.

Also shot the 25SST and 6.5SS.  Out to 1250.

AZGFD came out to check up on us.  Super nice officer.  Said they heard the shooting, and thought, "Either someone is a REALLY bad shot shooting at deer, or someone is shooting a lot of deer."

I explained we were tuning up on jackrabbits and squirrels at long range getting ready for deer season.  Checked our licenses, asked how the shooting was going, and left with a smile after watching us for a bit.  Said they felt sorry for any deer that comes within 1/2 mile of us.  I almost corrected the officer to "3/4 mile"....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

Went out today for one last LR verification.  I think Taylor is ready.  She smoked a squirrel @ 741 yards on a cold bore shot with her 6.5SLR, on video. 

Shot the rifle from 545 to 910.  All very good.

Also shot the 25SST and 6.5SS.  Out to 1250.

AZGFD came out to check up on us.  Super nice officer.  Said they heard the shooting, and thought, "Either someone is a REALLY bad shot shooting at deer, or someone is shooting a lot of deer."

I explained we were tuning up on jackrabbits and squirrels at long range getting ready for deer season.  Checked our licenses, asked how the shooting was going, and left with a smile after watching us for a bit.  Said they felt sorry for any deer that comes within 1/2 mile of us.  I almost corrected the officer to "3/4 mile"....

Thanks for the invite pal 😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oz31p said:

Thanks for the invite pal 😉

Kind of a "last minute, throw the stuff in the truck" trip.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KoosCrazy said:

Nothing wrong with having back-up for your back -up rifle haha.  

Happy hunting 

See?  People think I m crazy for taking 3 guns on a hunt.  

I would rather have and not need, than need and not have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

I always take an extra rifle on my hunts and have for a couple of decades. Its just a plain R 700 but I never leave home without it.

39 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

I dont go on a trip without each tagged hunter having a backup rifle they know how to shoot now. There is no reason not to if you have the hardware. 

I have only had 1 occasion to resort to a backup rifle, but last year it happened in Kaibab. My buddy needed it. He was carrying one of my rifles, and dropped my 257 weatherby on the scope, and had to resort to the 13lb 300 win mag. It was still better to carry that pig then have to drive back to PHX to get another rifle. 

• Like 1

About 15 years ago, I took a nasty fall over a wet rotten log.  Landed right on the scope.  I didn't even check it.  Just switched to my main back up.  Still had #3 just in case.  Then, my cousin dropped his rifle and broke the top turret off.  He carried my back up #2.  We both killed later in the hunt.  

• Like 2