Sign in to follow this  
rpowell600

Is this safe to eat?

Out scouting for javelina today and came across a cottontail. After field dressing found two small white spots on liver. Everything else appears to be ok. Is this safe to eat? Ive only seen information on domestic rabbits.

01DE61FB-5016-45FA-9E27-2567A6E7DB32.jpeg

I’ll be sure to toss it then. No sense in contracting something for a little meal. I’ve washed my hands 3 or 4 times since cleaning it as I’m now worried that it’s tularemia after further research. Sounds like a nasty infection in humans. 

I’ve only recently started wearing rubber gloves while skinning rabbits and predators. One cold winter about 10 years ago I walked from the house and killed enough rabbits to make a substantial number of sausages and enough stew to justify canning. I was ignorant on what to look for on the organs. No one died but I’m more cautious these days. It sucks not eating what you kill but it’s better than possibly killing a family member or yourself in the process. 

• Like 1

I know nothing about hunting rabbits except I've heard only hunt with months that have an r in the name.  Still not sure if april and September are suspect.  

What are you supposed to look for. I'm interested in not poisoning my family. Of course there are a few....

Would cooking them not “kill” whatever they’re packin? Nearly every bear packs trichinosis. I hope that doesn’t discourage people from eating them. I just got done eating backstraps off a buck who’s liver looked WAY worse than that

Tularemia is killed off when cooked at 165 degrees F and is supposedly safe to eat. Although, everyone already has me kind of scared to eat it. Im torn on throwing away edible game as its still in the fridge and some have said its fine. This is the first wild rabbit ive harvested so Im ignorant on what is acceptable or not.

I’m not tryin to tell you what to do. Just saying what I started doing. Trichinosis in bears is cooked off if hot enough. Some diseases in rabbit is not. Again, do what you want, I did for years and I’m still talking to you.

Here is a really good listen from an actual epidemiologist. Well worth the listen. Tularemia, Trichinosis and lots of other subjects covered.

8F7C2300-01DA-41BC-B6DF-12B38C3C0430.thumb.jpeg.28a8f5d2330754485a835e3be91fd80d.jpeg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Here is a really good listen from an actual epidemiologist. Well worth the listen. Tularemia, Trichinosis and lots of other subjects covered.

8F7C2300-01DA-41BC-B6DF-12B38C3C0430.thumb.jpeg.28a8f5d2330754485a835e3be91fd80d.jpeg

I listen to his podcasts religiously every Monday lol. Tularemia subject starts around 10 minute mark on that podcast. They confirm it cools off starting at 140 degrees but 160 to be safe. I just wasn’t sure about the spots on the liver as some say it’s common but make sure it’s cooked throughly to those who will throw them out to be safe. Which I’m leaning towards not eating it. 

It is perfectly fine. I’ve killed hundreds of cottontails and about every other one of them has a white spot or two on the liver and I check everyone I kill. Lime said before cook thoroughly and you’ll be just fine. I even call G&F many uears ago and asked a wildlife biologist and that’s what he told me. Never thought twice since. 

• Like 2