Does anyone have a bore scope that I can borrow, or bring a rifle to you to look at the throat. I am concerned my 257 weatherby may be running up on its max round count. 

I am going to double check the scope and mounts and clean it really well, but I am afraid it might be time for a new barrel. 

I don't have one but one of my buds has one that he would probably take a peek at it for you. When do you want it done and how many rounds down the tube?

My guess is at least 800 rounds down the tube. I am not in a rush. I am going to try the scope and rings first, but I am sure i need to have it looked at sometime. 

Ok just give me a couple of days notice when u want to have it looked at. Try to shoot it at least 400 yards. Usually a barrel that's gone won't hold paper at that distance.

40 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Ok just give me a couple of days notice when u want to have it looked at. Try to shoot it at least 400 yards. Usually a barrel that's gone won't hold paper at that distance.

I did that before my elk hunt and it was all over the place at 500 yards, that is what really prompted this thread. 

55 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

I did that before my elk hunt and it was all over the place at 500 yards, that is what really prompted this thread. 

If all your scope, bases, and action screws are tight and your barrel is clean, it's probably toast.

I am going to test the scope and mounts soon. They are new, but I know I double checked and torqued them correctly, so unless the scope is the problem, it is probably the barrel. 

I was about to do a similar post when I read this. Mine suddenly opened up to a 2" group at 100 yrds. Rem 700 .270, sporter barrel. 600 rounds.

Viper, If you have a factory Remington, especially a newer one that will shoot 2 inches at 100, it is cause for celebration!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Carbon ring?

Just had that happen on my brother custom 300WM. Cleaned it out and its back to normal. It went to heck real quick.

How do you clean that, standard brushing and solvent?

C4 Carbon cleaner and kroil

Let it soak.

Light brush on the neck.

Repeat many times until cleaned out. Its hard.

We have only had this in two barrels, but you could see where the bullets were dragging on it.

You can google more info in it. I had always heard about, it but never had a big issue with it until 2 weeks ago.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:50 PM, Hoss50 said:

How do you clean that, standard brushing and solvent?

You will need a phosphor brush with a bronze core in 6.5 or .264" diameter and you will twirl the brush in the neck area. You're cleaning the area where the chamber neck ends and the freebore of the rifling starts, so a 257 brush won't do you any good. You want to use Bore Tec carbon solvent but if it has been a while or never since you cleaned the chamber you may need to use Iosso or JB bore paste. I clean the chamber ring every 20 rounds on my match rifles and my hunting rifles. Frankly I don't know of any match shooter that doesn't clean the carbon out of the chamber every 10 rounds. When you bore scope it you should see the carbon ring.

It is confirmed. The barrel is toast. I went to Axisworks today to get a muzzle brake for my dads rifle, and Eric checked it out for me. It has pretty severe fire cracking. Time to start saving for a new barrel, stock, and figuring out what caliber the next barrel needs to be....