Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Who am I?

this story ends with the battle of big dry wash which was the last real 'battle' with an organized apache group.  it was during the battle of big dry wash that the third well know scout made a name for himself through his gallantry-apache kid.  after that kid became siebers' second in command of the scouts over time.

lee

ps in the most ironic of coincidences this apache party rode up to the john tewksbury place during a bloody seige by the grahams and blevins cowboys.  the apache left.

I can see the possibility of that happening.  We skinned out a bear one time and all of us were amazed at how much it resembled a human body.

10 hours ago, AZbowhntr said:

I can see the possibility of that happening.  We skinned out a bear one time and all of us were amazed at how much it resembled a human body.

I thought the same when I killed my first on Cibeque Ridge in the 1960s. The "hands" and "feet" are the things that stood out to me. 

In Navajo mythology, bear and man were equals. Both were soon summoned after creation to stand before the great spirit at a feast for them.

The great spirit needed to determine which would rule the day, the other, the night.

At the appointed judgement time, the man appeared in a punctual and ready fashion. The bear was no where to be found.

Come spring the bear arose, frantic for being late he placed his moccasins on the wrong feet in the dusk and shuffled off to the judgement spot as darkness fell.

Great spirit saw the ways of the bear and left him domain of the night, making him scavange and shuffle for evermore.

• Like 1

additional reading but by no means a complete listing

Arizonas' Dark and Bloody Ground by Earle Forrest

Cowboys Under the Mogollon Rim by Slim Ellison(just references)

Arizonas' Graham Tewksbuy Feud, They Shot Billy Today, and Black Mesa by Leland Hanchett

A Little War Of our Own by Don Dedera(controversial myth-busting tale-don't mention Don or the book in Young EVER.)

To the Last Man by Zane Grey(fiction)

To the Last Man a 1992 James Arness/Gunsmoke tv movie(fiction)

The Pleasant Valley War by Jinx Pyle

lee

ps Black Mesa by Lee Hanchett is about the three cowboys lynched near present-day black canyon lake-Stott, Scott and Wilson.  you can purchase Leland Hanchetts' books at Rim Resort in Forest Lakes.