Sign in to follow this  
CJNAZ

I'm shopping for a travel trailer - update

The time has come to move up to a bumper pull trailer and put the pop-up out to pasture. I've been doing some research and been trolling Craigslist for a long time now. Looking for a used 21' - 26' trailer within the $12K range. Pulling it with a RAM Cummins so weight does not really concern me in that length of trailer.

I have narrowed down the choices to a NASH or Artic Fox. I'm concerned about the quality of most newer trailers.

For those of you who have had or still own a bumper pull, am I missing a brand out there that is still decent quality?

Fleetwood used to make a really solid trailer.  Not sure if they are still producing or not.

Dont overlook toyhaulers. I bought a 21' weekend warrior last year from a buddy. It is really nice to open the back door to load up trailer with totes and stuff. I even roll my traeger right in and secure it with the vehicle tie downs. :)

I have 1 queen bed overhead, 2 twins on the sides, and a pop out queen in front. I love it. It is small enough to be easy to get into places, and with the pop out queen we can fit alot of people if necessary. It is easy to put a 3rd queen bed down with an air mattress in the toy box floor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Gonna sell the pop up?

MDA33 - yes I am. I’ll post up here on C/W first, with all the details. It’s been a good rig to us. 

• Like 1

I have owned 2 bumper pulls and 2 pop ups. My favorite trailer by far was my 2016 Starcraft (made by Jayco). They have the “Magnum Roof System” which is supposedly the strongest on the market. The build quality was great.

• Like 1

I been doing some research on trailers as well.  One big thing to check is for water damage.  Tap on the exterior walls and listen and feel for Delamination.  The condition of the roof will tell you a lot on how well they took care if it as well.

• Like 1

We upgraded my truck, then she picked out the "camper"... smart move on the used, had i known better... thats what i would have done. I'm surprised at how many little things go wrong. Weve had the trailer back to the dealer quite a few times for fixes.   (some stuff, if i had to pay for it, i would have let it slide... but since it was under warranty, they got to fix it).

We bought a starcraft bunk house. Its nice. Spent time in my buddy's jayco and another friends  genesis (hey, i get around)... they both seem to have nicer features than the starcraft

• Like 1

I would recommend bunk beds and a slide out.  A slide out makes a HUGE difference.  Also, don't overlook the position of the toilet, I could count the times I used the toilet on one hand, but if it was positioned differently I probably would (I gotta dump any ways when I camp with the wife and kids).

I don't know this seller AT ALL. But this seems like a good deal and I would like to upgrade to this. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/d/mesa-2018-sportsman-travel-trailer/7012374065.html

Just a friendly word of advice to all for safety. As someone that drives Semi to So' Cal and back 4-5 days a week I see alot of Campers dissinegrated in the median. With pick ups overturned. I saw one last week and only one wall was still whole laying there. Its like a Semi trailer, there is nothing to them. I say get the best tires You can for them and slow down. I see at least one a month now for 4 years in pieces. ,and the pickups upside down in most cases. Same with boat tires.  But seeing people going 80 with little tiny tires is a death trap...........BOB!

• Like 4

We have a Nomad, it’s a good trailer made by skyline. Fleetwood went bankrupt around 2008 and leading up to that and for a few years after the quality was terrible.

Jayco still builds quality in all their lines. I would look at them.

Our current trailer has a slide and it makes a huge difference on how much time we are willing to spend inside the trailer.

7 hours ago, Flatlander said:

We have a Nomad, it’s a good trailer made by skyline. Fleetwood went bankrupt around 2008 and leading up to that and for a few years after the quality was terrible.

Jayco still builds quality in all their lines. I would look at them.

Our current trailer has a slide and it makes a huge difference on how much time we are willing to spend inside the trailer.

Flatlander - Interesting on the Nomad. I've been in touch with a couple that has a 2013 23' Nomad Joey w/slide and walk around queen bed and are asking well under $12K. If I can get them to accept an offer under $10K I will pull the trigger on that one. Any issues or challenges with your Nomad that I could benefit from knowing about when I look at this Joey again?

5 hours ago, CJNAZ said:

Flatlander - Interesting on the Nomad. I've been in touch with a couple that has a 2013 23' Nomad Joey w/slide and walk around queen bed and are asking well under $12K. If I can get them to accept an offer under $10K I will pull the trigger on that one. Any issues or challenges with your Nomad that I could benefit from knowing about when I look at this Joey again?

Nothing specific to Nomad. Protect it from the sun, seal the roof, keep it dry  etc

• Like 1