Sign in to follow this  
CJNAZ

I'm shopping for a travel trailer - update

14 hours ago, naturebob said:

Just a friendly word of advice to all for safety. As someone that drives Semi to So' Cal and back 4-5 days a week I see alot of Campers dissinegrated in the median. With pick ups overturned. I saw one last week and only one wall was still whole laying there. Its like a Semi trailer, there is nothing to them. I say get the best tires You can for them and slow down. I see at least one a month now for 4 years in pieces. ,and the pickups upside down in most cases. Same with boat tires.  But seeing people going 80 with little tiny tires is a death trap...........BOB!

Sounds like a lack of sway bars or any form of sway control and improper weight distribution. That’s what I don’t like about bumper pull toyhaulers. Too much weight in the back when carrying toys. 

• Like 3

Lots of good advice here. Biggest things I’ve learned which were mostly covered already...used is the way to go. I’d personally avoid anything made by Forest River based on personal experience and one of my buddies...we’ve Unfortunately been in a contest seeing who can get the most warranty repairs done. I had an 03 Forest River that I bought on here with no issues...newer stuff isn’t so great. 

Slide is great, walk-around bed, bunks are a huge plus with kids. For hunting used pay attention to tank capacities, especially fresh and gray. Make sure the fresh tank is in front of the axles or you can have some serious sway issues and end up in the median like BOB mentioned. He’s spot on with speed...any little issues get severely compounded by speed. 

brands...You mentioned 2 good ones already in Nash and Arctic Fox. I’d also look at Grand Design if they make something in your size range. Tot haulers is a good suggestion too since they tend to be built a little more sturdy and almost all that I’ve seen have much larger tanks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

Sounds like a lack of sway bars or any form of sway control and improper weight distribution. That’s what I don’t like about bumper pull toyhaulers. Too much weight in the back when carrying toys. 

Exactly the issue I had with my old trailer and fresh tank in the back...once the water got to sloshing even sway bars had a hard time controlling it. Loading tongue-heavy helped, but could still feel it trying to sway when the Fresh tank was full. 

Update - thanks for all of the advice. Did me well when looking at used rigs. Pulled the trigger on a 23' Skyline. A bit out of the age range I was looking for but the price it is worth it and enough room for the Mrs. & I as our step-up rig.  Doesn't need much other than a spring over conversion and a new to us "bathroom sitter".

4800lbs dry so I figured a weight dist/sway control hitch should be something to consider after I replace the bearings and get D load range tires.

1999 Coleman Utah popup is about to be on the classifieds. I'll write up an ad soon with the good, bad, and ugly. I've always been 100 transparent on stuff I sell. No hidden B/S from me. Good karma has always done me right.

• Like 1