PowellSixO

Shooting from one unit into another????

I've seen great glassing spots from the new Mexico side which put this question in my mind, also the san pedro which is separated between 30b and 35a.  I think at this point the only time you wouldn't want to chance it is if your glassing from a rez. I dont think that's a chance any of us should take.  

1 hour ago, 360 0r Better said:

An old buddy of mine was the head of habitat for AZGFD for 15 or so years I posed that same question to him and he told me flat out it’s legal to shoot from one unit to another as long as the animal is in the correct unit you have the tag for when the shot is taken. Same thing as saying you shot from the correct unit and the animal crossed the unit boundary line and died you can legally and by law have to retrieve it even though it’s out of the unit once dead. 

How many times do you think that happens on FR3 between 6A and 5B north and south. I’d bet more than you think because it’s happened to me 

Shooting from or across a roadway is illegal. First thing that came to mind when I saw this topic, most boundaries are roadways.

• Like 1

I’ve wondered the same for years, but I haven’t had the guts to try it. Especially since most the Leo’s I’ve ran into seem like they’re out to get me. I was harassed pretty hard for camping in the wrong unit one year, luckily I didn’t get a ticket. 

44 minutes ago, Coffeeman said:

Shooting from or across a roadway is illegal. First thing that came to mind when I saw this topic, most boundaries are roadways.

Ive had the same question for a few yrs and couldn’t get a clear answer either. Many units are also divided by creeks as is the one I’ve always wondered about.  

If it's in AZ...dont worry. You'll never see a G&F unless your in camp or on the highway! #severlyunderstaffed

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coffeeman said:

Or a rim.  That is the first thing that came to my mind.

• Like 2

Should be legal as technically your not hunting a animal in the unit your shooting from. Your hunting a animal in another unit which you have a tag for.

alot of laws read "Take" so your not "taking" it from the unit your shooting in your "taking" it from the unit you killed it in.

1 hour ago, Coffeeman said:

True a lot boundaries are roadways of some type but there are far more that are a FR# or waterway of some type. Now shooting across a paved road is a totally different story which again 90% plus boundaries are not paved 

My bet is that if your gun is loaded and your not in the unit that your tag is for, you could be charged. Would GF charge you? Who knows.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

My bet is that if your gun is loaded and your not in the unit that your tag is for, you could be charged. Would GF charge you? Who knows.

no, thats not true, he could be hunting yotes. there is NO law that says you can ONLY have a loaded weapon in your UNIT at least not in this state.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Delw said:

no, thats not true, he could be hunting yotes. there is NO law that says you can ONLY have a loaded weapon in your UNIT at least not in this state.

I wouldn't chance it anyway. I haven't seen a Game Warden in 15-20 years. My luck I would sit down to glass in a unit that was across from mine and there would be one.

I can't imagine a scenario where a hunter would get cited for this, but I guess crazier stuff has happened.  I think it would be hard to make these charges stick in any reasonable court.  

Lot of guys have been glassin from 4A and 5A into 22 for years and taking elk 

• Like 2

some guys even glass from the hotels in Laughlin for sheep in AZ. thought the old man was using a big telescope to check out chicks he said nope I am bore wife and buddies wife gambling and I am looking for rams for a buddy and drinkng.