PowellSixO

Shooting from one unit into another????

But, officer a second before I shot I fell down into the wrong unit and as I was falling my arrow glanced off the powerline and hit the Deer that also had jumped onto the wrong unit as I was falling.  Officer says tell it to Judge Judy LOL.

Who's the guy , harassed for camping in the wrong unit. Tellm to suck wind.

Camp any dang  unit , place you want.

2 S's. Apply.  Shoot and shut up about it. If that's what you want to do!

10 minutes ago, elkaholic said:

Who's the guy , harassed for camping in the wrong unit. Tellm to suck wind.

Camp any dang  unit , place you want.

2 S's. Apply.  Shoot and shut up about it. If that's what you want to do!

I wish I was that brave with LEOs. Before he checked our tag, I informed him that we were aware of the boundary and that our tag was only good for across the street and we decided to camp where we did for the nice shade. He immediately took an attitude and We were less than 100 yards from the boundary line. 

On 11/7/2019 at 6:47 PM, PowellSixO said:

See that's the thing. I'm not hunting that unit. I'm targeting the correct unit. I shoot the correct animal, in the correct unit, with the correct tag. I realize it's a slippery slope. But we're dealing with feelings and emotions here. I lose that battle all day long with the leo that wants to prove his wenus is bigger than mine. I'm looking for hard evidence that says I can NOT do it. 

As per the regs, which outline the legal taking of wildlife: 

20. "Take" means pursuing, shooting, hunting, fishing, trapping, killing, capturing, snaring or netting wildlife or placing or using any net or other device or trap in a manner that may result in capturing or killing wildlife.

So this scenario amounts to the illegal "taking" of a game animal under both pursuing and shooting in a unit your permit doesn't include. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

20. "Take" means pursuing, shooting, hunting, fishing, trapping, killing, capturing, snaring or netting wildlife or placing or using any net or other device or trap in a manner that may result in capturing or killing wildlife.

So this scenario amounts to the illegal "taking" of a game animal under both pursuing and shooting in a unit your permit doesn't include. 

Bingo 

20 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

That doesn't say the hunter has to be in that unit. If the animal he is hunting/pursuing/shooting is in the correct unit, where does it state the hunter has to be? I have never done this, nor do I plan to, but I know it happens and I think it is still a gray area. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

That doesn't say the hunter has to be in that unit. If the animal he is hunting/pursuing/shooting is in the correct unit, where does it state the hunter has to be? I have never done this, nor do I plan to, but I know it happens and I think it is still a gray area. 

Yes, it does say that. If his permit is for one unit, he is hunting (glassing), pursuing and shooting from a different unit. The only thing he's doing in the right unit is killing. He would also be charged with possession of illegally "taken" wildlife.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Yes, it does say that. If his permit is for one unit, he is hunting (glassing), pursuing and shooting from a different unit. The only thing he's doing in the right unit is killing. He would also be charged with possession of illegally "taken" wildlife.

So By this definition, It would be illegal to to glass an animal in a different unit, watch it cross into the correct unit and shoot it?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

So By this definition, It would be illegal to to glass an animal in a different unit, watch it cross into the correct unit and shoot it?

The above is bit confusing without more specifics.

If you mean that the hunter is in his correct unit and the animal also crosses into that correct unit, it would be legal because both hunter and the animal are within the legal boundaries of the unit as set forth in the regs for the permit he is carrying. The act of glassing by itself is not illegal since he is in the correct unit and has done nothing outside his unit to pursue the animal.

Let's see if I can put a bit more clarity to this. 

Every permit shows the season dates, hunt # and unit #. They are there for a reason. Within the regs, there are maps and descriptions of the unit and boundaries of that unit where the taking of the target game is legal for the person who has the permit. He is bound by AGFD rule (legally) to adhere to those boundaries and legal method of take in the regs for that season. Once again, to those ends, AGFD has defined take as pursuing, shooting, hunting, fishing, trapping, killing, capturing ... wildlife...…...etc. So anything the permit holder does in his attempt to take the target animal must be done within the unit boundaries. 

Now, I'm done with this topic since there's nothing else for me to add. :blink:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AZ8 said:

I’m seriously blown away and amazed at the energy a bunch of guys on CWT are exerting just to justify shooting from the wrong unit. I think it’s easier just to be in correct unit. 

If anyone ever hunts with me I want to make it clear now: we will glass from the unit listed on our tag. we will pursue within the unit listed on our tag and we will shoot from the unit listed on our tag. 😁

What a holier than thou jack a$$ you are

• Like 1

What if you are in a unit without powerlines. are you allowed to glass from power lines in a different unit shoot a deer and bring under the power lines for the trophy pictures IF the camera lens tests negative for fluorite?

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

21 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

What if you are in a unit without powerlines. are you allowed to glass from power lines in a different unit shoot a deer and bring under the power lines for the trophy pictures IF the camera lens tests negative for fluorite?

Only if you are a dentist with small hands and your tag is for a gay cat.

2 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

So from your point of view, it is okay to shoot animal in the wrong unit as long as you're "pursuing" from the same unit as your tag, and "taking" from the same unit as your tag. Your logic works both ways. You're just interpreting it the way YOU want to interpret it. Just saying. 

• Like 2

I'm waiting on the AZ game commissioners to discuss it, and give me a real answer. I'll post the facts once I find them out, not my biased "my way is the only way" opinion. 

• Like 2