PowellSixO

Shooting from one unit into another????

23 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

Too much of a gray area. Really you are only at risk if a game warden sees you do it. 

I didn't feel like searching for it, but a guy by the name of Aldo Leopold addressed it with something like ethics are doing the right thing when no one else is watching. 

On 11/14/2019 at 6:58 AM, Outdoor Writer said:

My interpretation throughout this thread has been consistent -- all hunting, pursuing, glassing, shooting, killing must be done within the boundaries of the unit on the hunter's permit for the LEGAL TAKING of a game animal.

Agree totally. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trophyseeker said:

I didn't feel like searching for it, but a guy by the name of Aldo Leopold addressed it with something like ethics are doing the right thing when no one else is watching. 

Ahhh but is it unethical to hunt up deer located in your unit and shoot said buck while its located in your proper unit while you just across the line in a neighboring unit? That you might get cited is a legal technicality that is unresolved and all agree its a gray area. I find nothing unethical about shooting a buck in your designated permitted unit. BTW I love Sand County Almanac and great quote.

3 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

Ahhh but is it unethical to hunt up deer located in your unit and shoot said buck while its located in your proper unit while you just across the line in a neighboring unit? That you might get cited is a legal technicality that is unresolved and all agree. I find nothing unethical about shooting a buck in your designated permitted unit.

All agree?? Think not. I sure don't. And as OW posted, a judge that would have adjudicated such a "legal technicality" as obeying the laws as written sure doesn't. 

20 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Technically, he is hunting in the wrong unit. He would be cited if a game warden shows up, and I would find him guilty."

The hunter is hunting FROM the wrong unit. The hunter is hunting up game in his legal unit from the wrong unit. To go further the hunter is shooting a buck in his legal unit, the buck is shot in the legal unit, the buck being pursued is in the proper unit. For me its easy, its to gray an area, so I would not do it. My point is that its totally open to interpretation and as others have said when its open to interpretation the authorities (judges & officers) get to interpret the the gray area.

• Like 1

So is sitting in Unit 10 on the Bo, watching a herd of elk on the Res that you know will hop the fence into the unit considered hunting on the Res? 

To add to the mix, if you are glassing them on the Res, waiting for hours and relocating based on their movements, is that considered "chase"?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

So is sitting in Unit 10 on the Bo, watching a herd of elk on the Res that you know will hop the fence into the unit considered hunting on the Res? 

To add to the mix, if you are glassing them on the Res, waiting for hours and relocating based on their movements, is that considered "chase"?

Gonna need another bottle of oxygen for this...

• Like 1

Well since hunters seem divided on the issue as does the game and fish commissioner and officers I'd say it needs to be addressed in the regs.  It's amazing how many people told me baiting was illegal back when it was still completely legal!

• Like 2

On 11/13/2019 at 7:45 PM, Vowell said:

So if I’m coyote hunting in 22 and see a buck in 23 in which I have a tag for I can not shoot the buck until I’m physically in 23? I’m actively hunting in 22 for other critters? Just asking

Edit: and yes I do actively coyote hunt during deer season, I’m that guy everyone probably hates. 

Its coyote hunt every sec while hunting deer, elk, pigs.  Never pass up yotes!!

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 5:42 PM, bigbuckfever said:

Whether you get a ticket and or fine imposed is determined by the G&F officer and the judge you encounter.  If the winds in your face, you're fine.  If the wind's at your back, you're screwed.  I mistakenly shot a 3point muley instead of a whitetail I had a tag for. I called G&F and self reported the error. They said the warden for that unit was out of town and another officer from a different unit was filling in for him and he would find me.  I was crushed and humiliated but I did what I thought at the time was the right thing. I was in a very remote area and tried as best as I could to relate to them how to find me.  I skinned and gutted the deer and took care of the meat as to keep it salvageable.  I waited 24 hours for him , but no one showed up so I headed back towards town.  On the way I spotted a game and fish truck at the old rockhouse gas station off of 288 just north of the Salt River.  I approached him and started to explain my situation and he interrupted me part way through it to angerly demand to know where the heck I had been.  He said he spent hours looking for me and couldn't find me.  He was really in a foul mood and made sure I knew how pissed he was.  He asked why I had skinned and gutted it if I wasn't planning on keeping it (like a poacher).  I explained that I had already made one mistake by shooting the wrong deer, I wasn't going to make another by letting the meat go bad.  He clearly didn't like my answer and wrote me a ticket on the spot.  

When I went to court, the judge apparently was on the same page as the warden after reading his version of what happened, and he fined me.  Left a pretty sour taste in my mouth.  I honestly don't know if I'd make that call if it ever happened again.

Ive read to many times with AZ G&F hunters trying to reach out and do the right thing and the Warden gets bent out of shape and still tickets people.  Im at the point if I made a real honest mistake im not telling anyone!  What good does it?  In AZ G&F doing the right thing is not the right thing for your behalf! 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Zeke-BE said:

Ive read to many times with AZ G&F hunters trying to reach out and do the right thing and the Warden gets bent out of shape and still tickets people.  

well what can a guy expect if they broke the law. not like im going to call highway patrol and tell them im doing mach 3 down the i-10 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trphyhntr said:

well what can a guy expect if they broke the law. not like im going to call highway patrol and tell them im doing mach 3 down the i-10 

Good Point!!  But come on, only the SR-71 Blackbird can achieve mach 3

• Haha 1