Sign in to follow this  
NewlyMinted

Leftover Tag Strategy

Hey there, this is my first season applyng for leftover tags and I see it mentioned in dozens of threads, but I'm wondering if there's a strategy that works well.

They say the won't be accepted before a certain date, so do I have to be careful it wont arrive on the Friday or Saturday and be ignored?

For an out-of-state friend who want to try and get the same hunt, if he fedex delivers it, does it make sense for saturday delivery, or is USPS the only way?

Envelope size matter?

Thanks

Are you both putting in for leftover? If so, put in together. 

I don’t know about FedEx. I’ve always dropped mine in the mail on Fri or Sat from Tucson and never had an issue with it getting there too early. I’ve always assumed even if it gets there on Sat it’s not seen and opened until Monday. 

• Like 1

There is no non resident cap on leftovers so if you want to hunt together you should put in together on the same application. Also there is not a huge demand for the spring leftovers like there is with the fall deer tags so don't over think it. Tags will be available for several weeks sometimes longer depending on what hunt you are after.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Little Creek Calls said:

There is no non resident cap on leftovers so if you want to hunt together you should put in together on the same application. Also there is not a huge demand for the spring leftovers like there is with the fall deer tags so don't over think it. Tags will be available for several weeks sometimes longer depending on what hunt you are after.

+1

BB.jpg

• Like 1

My strategy will be to fill out the app...double check the info...tripple check the info...write out a check for the correct anount...double check that amount....fill out mailing info to the correct address....double check that address...mail on friday

Good luck on the draw

• Like 4

I was worried about this at one point and I actually called The Game and Fish office she said if my application actually got there on a Friday they wouldn't throw it out and it would still be there with everybody else's. 

• Like 1

By the way that year I mailed it from Sierra Vista I believe on a Wednesday evening although I could be completely wrong and it was Thursday evening but my daughter did end up drawing the tag

• Like 1

I was told previously... we had 20 b javelina tags.  My buddy changed his mind and decided he wanted join us on the HAM hunt.  He seen there were leftover tags. 

That particular year, he contacted azgfd. they said it had to be post marked friday.... if it was earlier than friday they "file 9'd" it

On 11/11/2019 at 12:50 PM, mbiewer said:

I was told previously... we had 20 b javelina tags.  My buddy changed his mind and decided he wanted join us on the HAM hunt.  He seen there were leftover tags. 

That particular year, he contacted azgfd. they said it had to be post marked friday.... if it was earlier than friday they "file 9'd" it

I went into the Tucson AZGFD today to get an OTC tag for next year and asked them too. They said if it arrives before hand it'll be discarded. Seems like a weird policy since the envelopes contain money and maybe in the form of cashiers checks.

She also told me I wasn't allowed to email or talk to the wildlife biologist for 36A. When reading the forums here "talking to the unit manager/biologist" seems to be in the top 5 pieces of advice for hunters new to an area.

13 minutes ago, NewlyMinted said:

She also told me I wasn't allowed to email or talk to the wildlife biologist for 36A. When reading the forums here "talking to the unit manager/biologist" seems to be in the top 5 pieces of advice for hunters new to an area.

In my experience they won’t give you the name or number (I ran into this before when one of the managers was extremely helpful and I’d lost his contact info to thank him after the hunt...they wouldn’t give it to me even by name and would only take a message for him), but I don’t see how they can stop you from emailing or talking to them if you know who they are...I suppose they could prevent their employees from responding. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewlyMinted said:

I went into the Tucson AZGFD today to get an OTC tag for next year and asked them too. They said if it arrives before hand it'll be discarded. Seems like a weird policy since the envelopes contain money and maybe in the form of cashiers checks.

In my dealings with that office in years past (like 10-15 years) they seemed to go out of their way to be uncooperative, borderline rude. I usually call and ask to speak with the wildlife manager for a specific unit. 90% of the time they aren't in there so I leave my name and number and they will get back to you at most in a week. I only once had one say he doesn't return calls.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewlyMinted said:

They don’t actually throw them away. They’ll just toss them aside in the “too early” bin, or whatever they use. They’ll then send your unopened application back, envelope and all. 

• Like 3