Sign in to follow this  
Bustnhearts692

Scope Shopping

I have that scope.  Buy an Athlon instead.  If your only hunting for the 600 dollar range Get Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50.  Ive compared to to my vortex and I would choose the Athlon.  If you spend a couple hundred more you can get Gen 1 ARES BTR 4.5-27x50 for 850.00 or the Gen2 Midas TAC 5-25x56 34mm tube for 850.00.

Look at Burris Veracity or the step above. I have two of the 3x15x50 veracity's and like them better than my Vortex 6x24x50 HS-LR.

The Vortex is nice enough, but at 24x, it seems like the reticle get really light like an over exposed picture. I like the scope overall, but I like the Burris better.

I personally would not choose Athlon over vortex, but that’s just my opinion. My brother bought one and it’s horrible compared to my PST. You can get a gen 1 PST at eurooptics for right around $500 right now. For the money, it would be hard to beat that. 

• Like 1

I agree, I have looked thru a few Athlons and was not very impressed.  There are very few scopes I would recommend a vortex over, but Athlon is one.  The SWFA is probably your best bet in that price range.  You could probably find a Leupold VX3i as well.  It will have the best glass, but some say they do not hold true on tracking when dialing.  I just started putting one thru the paces and so far 200ish shots it has held true.  Time will tell.

I tested an Athlon Midas.  Did not track, or even resemble coming close to returning to zero.  Sent it back and got a brand new replacement.   Did the exact same thing.  I sent it back to the supplier and told him to never, EVER order another one for sale.  POS.

I have an Athlon Ares BTR, and it sits atop a loaned rifle.  I have only shot maybe 20 rounds under it.  It is OK.  

The suggestion of an SWFA 3-15×42 is a great one.  I have two still.  Had the 5-20×50 HD for years with zero problems, and LOTS of shooting.

My suggestion, look at used higher end scopes.  You can find $1k scopes used for $600 all the time.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

I like my vortex. Has killed animals out to 1100 yards. 

Every one likes their vortex till it fails them. 
😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have 2 Leupold VX-3i 4.5x14 scopes, they both track, the glass in one is better than the other. In that price range you could look at a Nikon in their Monarch line. I have a couple of those also, for the price the glass is good and they track.

I just bought a Zeiss v4 6-24x50 that I have put a few boxes of ammo through.  So far a awesome scope that's easy to dial, holds zero and had my 12 year old shooting steel at 650 yards with.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:31 PM, Bustnhearts692 said:

Been highly considering Athlon Argos BTR. Opinions?

See Lance's post a few before yours.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:42 AM, Bustnhearts692 said:

looking for input on Vortex Viper HS-T 6x24x50. I like the Zero Stop feature, vortex glass seems good. Any one have personal experience in the field with this scope? 

I purchased this very scope in 2018, it sits atop my Tikka 7MM.  Also added a 20 MOA rail and vortex precision matched rings.  It gives me a 25.5 MOA elevation range and returns back to zero with no issues that I can notice.  I have about 200 rounds down the tube with this scope.  I've taken a Coues (404 yards), Muley (416 yards) and Elk (400 yards).  I currently have it dialed to 600 yards for my self imposed comfort zone.  Very pleased with this scope.