Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Man my kids are lucky!! Son's biggest yet

Glassed this buck up Friday morning with 25 does, and 4 other bucks.  Watched them do their thing for about an hour with no real way to make a move on them.  They slowly fed up over a saddle as the sun was starting to hit them pretty solid.  We made a 2 mile loop around them to get in the same canyon that they headed into.  We glassed that spot for about an hour, but it was noon, hot, and nothing was up.  We decided to back out and return in the afternoon.  We drove in from a different direction that was actually a further hike, but a much easier hike.  We arrived on the only rock pile in the canyon where you could see where we figured the bucks would bed.  It took all of 5 min and we had the buck.  We set up on him with the sun directly in our eyes and contemplated the shot.  My son 19, wanted to shoot, but I talked him into waiting.  The sun finally settled behind the Mountain, and things got serious…  Go Time!  We ranged the shot at 578 yards and 10 degree slope.  My son Hunter said, "Dad that stupid ocotillo is right in my way"...  I had to crawl down and move it so he could shoot.  The buck did not like that at all and bedded down....  We could see antlers, neck, and bush and a small window of vitals.   We thought about calling it a day, but my son felt very confident in the shot.   One well placed 150 ab/ 300 wsm and it was over... Heart shot/ flop!!!  The pack out in the dark was a great learning experience for him....  Great Father Son Time.....  My boys have had one heck of a 5 year run.

Whitey....

hw wt 2019.jpeg

hwwt3.jpg

hwwr2.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Great Buck! 2
  • Wow! 2

Wow he can retire from coues hunting

Congrats

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zeke-BE said:

Wow he can retire from coues hunting

Congrats

yeah, Zeke-BE  He killed a small 3x3 at 10, a 91 at 13, and this at 19..  He said, "Dad, now we have to beat this next year!!!"  fricken kids!

• Like 2

Straight up giant of a buck. This is the first year of many I haven't been on a Coues hunt yet, elk and my trip to AK got in the way. Sure miss those deer. Nice job on getting him on a stud. 

• Like 1