Sign in to follow this  
Guest akaspecials

Wood Stove Questions- UL/Backpacking

Maybe check on rockslide.  I've also seen threads over there about people building their own ul stoves.  

Which luxe model? I was looking into them but decided to get a good cheaper used setup this year (in case floorless isn’t for me). I got a nemo pentalite w/ Ed T cyclinder stove. Can’t wait to try it out next month in the backcountry. I hate being cold! The luxe shelters look good for the price point and they have good reviews on rokslide

Guest akaspecials
12 hours ago, desertmafia21 said:

Which luxe model? I was looking into them but decided to get a good cheaper used setup this year (in case floorless isn’t for me). I got a nemo pentalite w/ Ed T cyclinder stove. Can’t wait to try it out next month in the backcountry. I hate being cold! The luxe shelters look good for the price point and they have good reviews on rokslide

I went with the Minipeak XL with the winter 1.5p inner. I got 15 years out of my last Sierra Designs tent before the zippers started to go, so I'm hoping this is as well built and will last 15 to 20 years. 

I'm probably gonna go with the Lite Outdoors stove, but I'm worried it will be hard to boil water on a cylinder stove as compared to a box stove. The cylinders just seem so much more practical and utilitarian in everything except the cooking department though. 

Is your 12 or 18 in? I want 12 for weight but was thinking 18 would be a lot easier to load and only a few ounces more. Thoughts? 

2 hours ago, akaspecials said:

I went with the Minipeak XL with the winter 1.5p inner. I got 15 years out of my last Sierra Designs tent before the zippers started to go, so I'm hoping this is as well built and will last 15 to 20 years. 

I'm probably gonna go with the Lite Outdoors stove, but I'm worried it will be hard to boil water on a cylinder stove as compared to a box stove. The cylinders just seem so much more practical and utilitarian in everything except the cooking department though. 

Is your 12 or 18 in? I want 12 for weight but was thinking 18 would be a lot easier to load and only a few ounces more. Thoughts? 

I got the 18". It weighs just over 2 lbs so not too bad. It will hold more capacity and I've heard it can burn for about 2 hours. Box stoves might be more efficient for burn time and cooking. I'm still green in the hot tent department so I'll see how it goes

I have a SEEK OUTSIDE 4 man with a large stove. Seek outside shelters have a storm flap on the zippers so when the door is zipped shut the velcro seals the door, this keeps your zippers from freezing closed, water from leaking into the shelter unlike its competition and keeps the wind out, they also have two zippered doors. They have a sod skirt around the shelter so you can place rocks or soil on it to seal the shelter from the elements. Their tipis have loops in the shelter to run para cord through for a clothes line. As with all tipis if they state 4, 6 or 8 man with a stove, wood, packs rifles etc. you need to cut the occupancy in half. When backpacking I think my 4 man is AWESOME by myself. I do believe the shelter with the stove is about 7 pounds all in which is light considering it can handle severe storms with ease.  

The stove will burn for a couple of hours and have coals for a couple more, since they are small they need to be stoked more then a full size stove but will keep the shelter about 70/80 degrees when its 5 degrees out and snowing. It is easy to cook on since it is flat and square, I dont bring a fuel stove when using the stove in the tipi. It is very sturdy, dosent leak smoke unless you forget to clean the spark arrester. As far as cylinder vs box stove I did a lot reading before buying my stove and the cylinder stove will warp leaving you with a small problem and you cant cook on them very easily. The stove and the shelter have proven very durable and I will never be without one again. 

As far as cons I havent found any, I am really thinking about buying an 8 or 12 man and getting rid of my wall tent. In the photo below I had the shelter up and a fire going in about 15 minutes. 

SEEK OUTSIDE 4 MAN.jpg

• Like 1