Sign in to follow this  
WHT_MTNMAN

Kodiak Sitka Trip

2 hours ago, yotebuster said:

If you don’t mind me asking Houston, is there a big cost savings between a guided hunt and a transported hunt?  Did you notice any significant differences?  I honestly prefer to not have a guide as I like to make my own decisions, that being said there’s a lot of logistics to those hunts and I know a guy needs some help with equipment and access to the animals.  Packing, caping etc is something I also like to do myself, so that’s no issue.  Did you compare and contrast boat vs float plane etc?  

I have absolutely no idea what a guided hunt would even cost. Just for a rough idea. This boat provided all fuel of the boats, getting us to the dry land, food before and after and snacks/sandwiches. All power to dry out gear, no extra fuel charge and we booked the whole boat and it was I think $27500.  + our flight to the boat was $250.00  If you use flight miles to AK etc.. you can get flights between $500-1000.     Huntinfool had a great write up about it last year or the year before

I've heard it is going up and the average is around 3k+ for a boat hunt but I'm not completely sure on that.

The absolute biggest difference is that with a float plane they just drop you off.  You are on your own for all food, gear, keeping dry etc... And it costs more to fly you to a new area.  The greatest thing about the boat was the ability to get completely dry, generators running with heat, boot dryers de humidifiers etc..and a meal already prepared and ready. Doing a drop camp would allow you to get to some better areas IMO but very risky with weather. One group was planning on staying 10 days but had to leave early since there was so much rain and the weather hadn't dropped to freezing and the meat and capes were going bad. We had freezers and fridges on board the boat so no issue. 

A few groups that I talked to in the airport told me they ended up spending close to 6k on their float plane drop hunt. (all flights, food,gear, shipping etc..) That really surprised me as I figured I could do it way cheaper but that is what they said. 

I think the only way an outfitted hunt would be worth it is if they had limited access or a concession that was just for them, you may have better quality of animals. Other than that, they are small animals with heavy hides and fat, but easily taken off the hill with 2 guys.  

Every day we talked with the transporter about weather and what sides of the island and bays etc... he felt he could get us in land safely and we would look at the terrain and see where we wanted to go and head to shore.  

• Like 2

I wanna go!!! Take me ! Take me!!!! Lol.  Looks like a cool trip.  Congrats on great bucks!

Brian

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 12:02 PM, Outdoor Writer said:

Nice job, Houston. 👍 Looks like you got into a few salmon, as well. Look like coho, eh?

Sitka is the only NA deer I'm missing. Wish I was still able to do that hunt, but I put it off too long. Now my days afield are over. 

Are you able to fly in airplanes and get around short distances? If so, you could still do it. 

You can hunt from a boat in Alaska, and shoot from the boat. The boat just has to be turned off, and have no movement/ momentum from the engine when you take a shot. 

4 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

Are you able to fly in airplanes and get around short distances? If so, you could still do it. 

You can hunt from a boat in Alaska, and shoot from the boat. The boat just has to be turned off, and have no movement/ momentum from the engine when you take a shot. 

It would be a real chore for me, Andrew. I'm on oxygen 24/7, using a large electric concentrator at home and small portable tanks when I'm out and about. The latter last only a couple hours. Thus, I would need to haul a bunch of them wherever I go. 

Wow not sure how I missed this post, awesomeness man!!!