AZHUNTER05

Kodiak Flex Bow tent and Mr buddy heater question.

I’m considering picking up a kodiak flex bow tent (10x14). I’ve seen a lot of people online using the big Mr. Buddy heater inside the tent to keep warm. I’m curious on how warm they keep the tent on a cold hunt? I’ve searched all over the internet and can’t really find any information on it. Anyone have any experience with this kind of setup? Any information or advice would be appreciated! 

Thanks, 

Cameron

16 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

They will keep it warm but you will need ventilation or it will shut off.

How warm do you think it will keep you? I’m trying to decide if I should buy the Flex bow, or step up and buy the lodge tent with a stove in it. I like the flex bow because it’s easier to setup and I won’t have to deal with a stove. 

We used a Kodiak and buddy heater in Utah this fall.  Overnight lows around 10°.  Tent was quite comfortable with the buddy heater.  Still used a 0° bag but didn't need to bundle up.  I'd say prob 50ish degrees all night.  Way warmer than the -5° wind chill outside.

• Like 2

I have a 10x14 coleman insta tent and a heater buddy JR. The temps this last weekend were just below freezing and the tent stayed very comfortable. I would say around 60 degrees. If you get the larger heater and get the hose to connect it to a 20 lb propane tank, it should be plenty to keep you warm. Like stated above, just crack a couple of windows for ventilation. It does have a safety shutoff if it senses carbon monoxide or tips over.

Used my Mr buddy in my Cabellas outfitter tent and my 14x14 canvas tent even with good ventilation its never been turned up past low last hunt was 9 degrees at night i also use a separate carbon minoxide alarm just in case 

• Like 2

im terrified of the sensors not working i would never run it all night. what we do if i got cold i would get up and turn it on till it breaks the chill turn it off then go back to bed

• Like 6

I've used one a few times on strip hunts, etc...sometimes in low teens or single digits.  I hate sleeping in warm weather so we would have good bags, place it by the cots and as soon as one of us would wake up get it started. Warm the tent up in less than 15 min enough to get dressed. Same thing in the evening. They heat that space quite quickly

• Like 1

I have run an OLD Coleman catalytic heater for years.  Crack a couple windows, and it does enough to knock the chill off.  Looking at the weather reports, I bought a Mr. Buddy heater for the future.  Good to hear they keep a tent warm.  Expected temps are low single digits in a week or three up north.  

Does a regular hose for a 20# that fits in a lantern work for the Mr. Buddy?  Guess I better verify.

We used the little buddy heater on a late December hunt in an 8x12 tent. One night was -5 and we ran it all night with one window open about 6in. It stayed warm enough to sleep with your bag unzipped. I would also recommend an extra carbon monoxide detector.

• Like 2

The Big Buddy heater will heat the Kodiak tent great- it can get too hot. I have the adapter and use a 5 gallon propane (leave the tank outside) -

I also have a travel trailer and the Kodiak tent with the buddy heater makes it easy to leave the trailer at home. The trailer is much easier because everything is stored in it...

I also use a shower tent (and move the heater into it), use a 2 gallon weed sprayer with water heated on the camp chef and "shower" in a warm environment. 

• Like 1

I've got a Big Buddy heater I use in my wall tent for cold but not freezing temps or when I don't have time to cut wood.  One of these is a lot less work and a lot cleaner than a wood burning stove although a wood stove is the way to go if it is really cold.  Canvas tents breathe a lot better than synthetic fiber tents.  Most have a way to vent in some fresh air.  Never have had an issue running mine in the tent all night, stove or heater.

• Like 1

I have a few Coleman catalytics that i use. I turn them off before bed and back on when we wake up. Too afraid to die over something like that. I've been thinking about a buddy heater as well since my tent already has the slot for the hose.