AZHUNTER05

Kodiak Flex Bow tent and Mr buddy heater question.

4 hours ago, AZHUNTER05 said:

How warm do you think it will keep you? I’m trying to decide if I should buy the Flex bow, or step up and buy the lodge tent with a stove in it. I like the flex bow because it’s easier to setup and I won’t have to deal with a stove. 

It might get to warm if you run it all night. I turn it on before I get ready for bed and shut it off when I go to bed. I set it next to my bed  and turn it on when the alarm goes off. It will warm the tent in less than 5 minutes.

• Like 2

How warm do you think it will keep you? I’m trying to decide if I should buy the Flex bow, or step up and buy the lodge tent with a stove in it. I like the flex bow because it’s easier to setup and I won’t have to deal with a stove. 

If you run it on a 5 gallon tank you should use a filter with it.

If you run it on a 5 gallon tank you should use a filter with it.

I’m considering picking up a kodiak flex bow tent (10x14). I’ve seen a lot of people online using the big Mr. Buddy heater inside the tent to keep warm. I’m curious on how warm they keep the tent on a cold hunt? I’ve searched all over the internet and can’t really find any information on it. Anyone have any experience with this kind of setup? Any information or advice would be appreciated! 

Thanks, 

Cameron

I have the same setup. I keep a front and back window open about 4" for ventilation. I bought the heater about 10 years or more ago and have used it in tents and a travel trailer. The one I have is 4000/9000 BTU and I rarely put it on high and run it on a 5 gallon bottle. and it would probably last  2-3 weeks running it 12 hours a day on low.

It raises the temp almost 20 degrees on low and I have never had a problem or woke up with a headache. I always run it all night and have never used a filter. I have about an 8-10' hose and leave the tank outside.

• Like 2

Used it on last years elk hunt and it was a lifesaver. 25 degree bag and heater all night with windows cracked. First few nights it was on low and still didn’t zip the bag. Last 3 nights low single digits and on high all night. It worked perfect. Ran the hose outside to big tank.

• Like 1

I spent a couple nights in my 10x14 flexblow north of Flagstaff in December. It was low temps in the 15* area, but windy. We had a single canister buddy heater running on high all night hooked to a BBQ tank, and another buddy heater on low running on green bottles. 

It wasn't cold in the tent, but it wasn't warm either. When the heater on low ran out a green cylinder you knew it, and would wake up to put a new one on. 

Our bags are probably +20* sleeping bags though so that doesn't help. If it hadn't been windy I think it would have been manageable with just the 1 heater on high on the BBQ tank. 

A big buddy dual cylinder heater hooked to a BBQ tank would probably rock it in one of those tents.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

I spent a couple nights in my 10x14 flexblow north of Flagstaff in December. It was low temps in the 15* area, but windy. We had a single canister buddy heater running on high all night hooked to a BBQ tank, and another buddy heater on low running on green bottles. 

It wasn't cold in the tent, but it wasn't warm either. When the heater on low ran out a green cylinder you knew it, and would wake up to put a new one on. 

Our bags are probably +20* sleeping bags though so that doesn't help. If it hadn't been windy I think it would have been manageable with just the 1 heater on high on the BBQ tank. 

A big buddy dual cylinder heater hooked to a BBQ tank would probably rock it in one of those tents.

I ran mine on a 16oz bottle the first time I used it and that bottle only lasted about 8 hours at most. A hose and big bottle is the way to go.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

nothing like getting up all night turning a heater on and off and having water dripping on your face off the inside of the tent while trying to sleep. 

Might be time to sell that tent.

We have always used a propane heater at night before bed.. Just to be comfortable and then 5 mins before waking up I will kick it on to knock the chill off.     I don't like the idea of keeping the Mr. Buddy on all night.  I would hate to wake up dead. ha ha.   I have always stayed warm in my sleeping bag, so that has never been a problem.  Sure does make getting out of the bag a lot easier though.  

• Like 1

I have had a springbar tent about that size for 20 years. From Colorado hunts at 10,000 and below 20deg to Utah hunts in snow and S AZ in the 20's a propane lantern before bed keeps the chill off and turn lantern back on with the alarm and the tent stays comfortable.

They make 1 of the hoses that has a built in filter or screen. 

I keep the vents open and the bottom of the doors unzipped. I also keep a battery operated Carbon monoxide alarm in the tent. We have never had it alarm, even with 2 heater running when it was super cold out. 

Also a note for people running the heaters from a hose. If you can't get it to light you need to purge the air from the hose. 

That night when it was freakin cold I couldn't get the heater to light. After some attempts the pilot light would light, but when you turned the heater up it would flame out. Turns out it had air in the lines. I let the pilot light run for about 5 minutes, then turned it up, and it worked perfect.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

What does the filter do? I’ve ran mine on a 7 gallon tank for a few years.

I was just told it was better to run a filter on it.