AZHUNTER05

Kodiak Flex Bow tent and Mr buddy heater question.

10 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

What does the filter do? I’ve ran mine on a 7 gallon tank for a few years.

I have been told that the big propane tanks contain propane that does not burn as clean, can contain contaminants (which can also leak out of the hose), and in the long run can gum up your heater without a filter. I cannot confirm or deny this, but have a filter on mine.  They are pretty cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Portable-Heaters-F273699/dp/B000HE8P2O

• Like 1

I used a big buddy heater in my pop up all night on medium in 20 degrees.  It was awesome, very comfortable, we would have froze without it.  Ran a hose outside to the 5 gal propane tank which way barely any lighter after using it all night for two nights.

My canvas tent has "vents" on each side at the top where a ridgepole would go if you were using logs as a tent frame.  It also has a gap at the doorway that allows air in down low, and its canvas, which is naturally porous.  I suspect I should still get a CO monitor to be on the safe side.  Thanks for the heads up.

A few years ago two guys died in unit ten when a snow storm coated their tent. The snow and ice sealed their tent and they perished when  the carbon monoxide from their heater was trapped inside. Just something to keep in mind when using a heater in the snow. 

• Like 5

Just came off a hunt with very favorable results.  I purchased the Little Buddy heater (single 1 lb canister) and used it in my 8X7 Coleman Insta-tent.  Worked great at night and especially in the mornings when getting ready for the day.  The purchase was worth its weight in gold.  

Good discussion & info here!!

Quick question for those running BIG Buddy off a large tank, please.   Maybe a stupid question, but the Big Buddy uses two propane bottles that screw-in separately.   If I buy a hose (with filter/regulator) to run the Big Buddy off the large propane tank, will both sides of the Big Buddy run with the single hose connection?

Thanks!

S.

3 hours ago, stanley said:

Quick question for those running BIG Buddy off a large tank, please.   Maybe a stupid question, but the Big Buddy uses two propane bottles that screw-in separately.   If I buy a hose (with filter/regulator) to run the Big Buddy off the large propane tank, will both sides of the Big Buddy run with the single hose connection?

Thanks!

S.

No idea but there should be some info in the manual. Does it have two ceramic plates? If not than it should be able to be fed from both sides or either side.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stanley said:

Thanks!

S.

Hi Stan,

I recently ran my Big Buddy heater off a bulk tank with a hose from that company that supposedly absorbs the nasty stuff in the propane.  The second burner only runs when the heater is set to "High", on low or medium it only uses one of the two burners.  Hope that helps!

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks, guys!!!

Yes, Nick, that explanation on the single burner vs. both makes sense, now that I think about it.  Those suckers really crank-out the heat, so I'm thinking a single burner is generally good most of the time anyway.  Will be putting it to the test on an elk hunt in a couple of weeks! ;)  

S.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jmall said:

A few years ago two guys died in unit ten when a snow storm coated their tent. The snow and ice sealed their tent and they perished when  the carbon monoxide from their heater was trapped inside. Just something to keep in mind when using a heater in the snow. 

Great info.  I always set up my tent, and also run a large tarp "A frame" over it to keep more rain/snow off it.  

20161116_150850_zpsxxdnlpap.jpg

• Like 4

I sleep in a down mummy bag with a quilt over it inside a tent.The only heat I introduce is the lantern to see in the am. 

I would like to build a stove and pipe jack for the kodiak. I think that would be the best bet for mid winter hunts. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

I sleep in a down mummy bag with a quilt over it inside a tent.The only heat I introduce is the lantern to see in the am. 

I would like to build a stove and pipe jack for the kodiak. I think that would be the best bet for mid winter hunts. 

Momma likes it warm but I normally do what you do.  Her hunts, her comfort is important.  My hunts, I just use more sleeping bags or blankets.  I went round and round the idea that you describe but in the end went with the wall tent with no floor.  A fire in a tent with a floor seems like a big no no to me!  I suppose you could use fireproof blankets or something else to prevent sparks from jumping out of the stove and getting on the floor.  There is also something to the way that tent might move in the wind.  A wall tent has no problem with a stovepipe and stovejack and you can use whatever you want to cover the other areas in the tent for a floor.  I use tarps and old moving blankets on top of the sod cloth around the inside of the tent in the sleeping area and leave the doorway and area near the stove open.  This keeps the critters and bugs out for the most part and plenty of room to stack wood and take a washcloth bath next to the stove in the tent if you want.  To each his own.  If you do decide to sew a stovejack in, I would love to see how it turns out for you.  Please come back and let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

So I slept in the back of the truck or on a cot out in the open for years! Good sleeping bag, got dressed and undressed in the bag (yes I cramped up lots!) a few years ago I started to use a tent. So hunting for 30 years but new to tents lol. Question.... when you don’t have a floor in your tent, how do you keep the cold ground temps up and how do you keep rain and run off from running under the tent walls? Obviously you try to set up where run off is minimal but how do you keep the ground warm and dry? I’m using a cheaper easy set up tent now and I set it up like my bedroom at home, makes it more homey to sleep that way with heat lol.

• Like 1

I love this topic!

1 hour ago, Heat said:

Momma likes it warm but I normally do what you do.  Her hunts, her comfort is important.  My hunts, I just use more sleeping bags or blankets.  I went round and round the idea that you describe but in the end went with the wall tent with no floor.  A fire in a tent with a floor seems like a big no no to me!  I suppose you could use fireproof blankets or something else to prevent sparks from jumping out of the stove and getting on the floor.  There is also something to the way that tent might move in the wind.  A wall tent has no problem with a stovepipe and stovejack and you can use whatever you want to cover the other areas in the tent for a floor.  I use tarps and old moving blankets on top of the sod cloth around the inside of the tent in the sleeping area and leave the doorway and area near the stove open.  This keeps the critters and bugs out for the most part and plenty of room to stack wood and take a washcloth bath next to the stove in the tent if you want.  To each his own.  If you do decide to sew a stovejack in, I would love to see how it turns out for you.  Please come back and let us know how it goes!

You Definitely pose some really good points on why not to use a stove with the sewn floor. I’m right there with you. I love the simplicity of the kodiak it’s storage space and the ability to be put up solo in a matter of minutes. The Davis was tents are super nice as are their cots. If I can’t find a work around with a kodiak I may go with the Davis wall tent to use the stove.

• Like 1