AZHUNTER05

Kodiak Flex Bow tent and Mr buddy heater question.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:13 AM, rossislider said:

I have been told that the big propane tanks contain propane that does not burn as clean, can contain contaminants (which can also leak out of the hose), and in the long run can gum up your heater without a filter. I cannot confirm or deny this, but have a filter on mine.  They are pretty cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Portable-Heaters-F273699/dp/B000HE8P2O

These filters are good, cheap, and warm insurance. A couple of years ago I tried to run my buddy heater from a 20 lb tank. Never had an issue before but I could not keep it lit. It would spit, sputter, and kept dying. Good thing I had a bunch of the one pound tanks. Heater ran fine on the small tanks. Now, I always use a filter and haven't had any problems. Maybe the big gas station tank that filled my 20lb was nearly empty and had oil, contaminants, or who knows what in it?

Also have the big Kodiak tent, use buddy heater only while getting ready to go to sleep, or in the a.m. to warm tent up before getting out of sleeping bag.

2 things I did to improve the situation even more, was I cut a piece of carpet from lowes, the thin cheaper tan stuff, to fit the tent floor. Really makes it cozy inside, plus hated cold plastic on feet. To store it, fold in thirds long ways, then fold ends to center of length, then roll from one end as tight as you can. Secure with a cut piece of thick rope or boat dock line, and carry by that. Actually winds up smaller than tent in storage bag.

The other is longer 12" stakes and aluminum large "fender" washers from finer Ace Hardware stores for anchoring the tent down. Hate those plastic hook things on cheaper stakes. Also get a old style shower curtain hook, that clips closed on itself, for keeping all the washers together in your stake bag.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

I sleep in a down mummy bag with a quilt over it inside a tent.The only heat I introduce is the lantern to see in the am. 

I would like to build a stove and pipe jack for the kodiak. I think that would be the best bet for mid winter hunts. 

Yup, pretty much same here.  In cold weather, I use a down mummy bag inside of a big puffy 15 degree Cabela's cot-style sleeping bag.   Keeps me plenty warm while sleeping, and I'll only use heater when I wake up in the morning.  Sometimes I'll have a small Coleman stove that I use on a table in the corner for coffee.  That usually puts out some good warmth while it's brewing/perking.    The Big Buddy basically turbo-charges the place! 🔥;)

Stay warm (AND safe), everyone!

S.

21 hours ago, Lazy-H98 said:

Just came off a hunt with very favorable results.  I purchased the Little Buddy heater (single 1 lb canister) and used it in my 8X7 Coleman Insta-tent.  Worked great at night and especially in the mornings when getting ready for the day.  The purchase was worth its weight in gold.  

I remembered I had snapped a pic from last weekend while in use.  Single canister, Buddy Junior heater.  Lows in the upper 20's, 8X7 Coleman Instant tent, warmed the place up in a jiffy.

2019 Buddy Junior Heater.jpg

• Like 1

35 below elk hunter bag. Heater going to bed and heater in the mornings. No filter, no Carbon monoxidide sensor. Havn't woke up dead yet and stay nice and warm in any Az. Temp.😏

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Bought a CO detector today @ Home Depot.  My wife would kill me if I woke up dead.

You're just worried about what she will do with all your guns. Especially if you gave them chick names. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

You're just worried about what she will do with all your guns. Especially if you gave them chick names. 

I am worried she would sell them for what I told her I paid for them!  🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

If im with in 40 mins of a hotel during winter hunts im hitting that!  Warm showers, warm bed, some TV before I hit the sack!  When I had my toy hauler it worked great for the unit 10 Dec. hunts.  But you need to use water bottles inside or all your pipes and tanks freeze.  But Ill be in a canvas tent this January in mexico and I have a buddy.  So this is good info.

47 minutes ago, Zeke-BE said:

If im with in 40 mins of a hotel during winter hunts im hitting that!  Warm showers, warm bed, some TV before I hit the sack!  When I had my toy hauler it worked great for the unit 10 Dec. hunts.  But you need to use water bottles inside or all your pipes and tanks freeze.  But Ill be in a canvas tent this January in mexico and I have a buddy.  So this is good info.

We did 7e twice in December in toyhaulers. First year was no water. 2nd year we did water, and used a roll of duct wrap insulation to skirt the bottom of the trailer. It was well below freezing and the insulation skirt kept the water from freezing. 

19 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

We did 7e twice in December in toyhaulers. First year was no water. 2nd year we did water, and used a roll or duct wrap insulation to skirt the bottom of the trailer. It was well below freezing and the insulation skirt kept the water from freezing. 

Thats what I would do next time but I sold the trailer

I have the kodiak 10x10. Running carpet inside is the best camping idea I've ever had, a complete game changer. When I'm by myself I run the little buddy before bed and again when I'm waking up. If my wife and little ones are with, I run the heater all night. I have also discovered it stays warmer longer when you vent the bottom of the tent as opposed to the top. 

This is the hose and filter Mr. Heater suggests if you run their unit off propane tree, I think the part is different if you run a heater straight to a large propane tank. I got them both from Wally World shipped to my door for like 34$. I took it on my Coues hunt last week to test it out in my 10x14’ Springbar...worked great. Mostly tried it as a proof of concept for cold weather hunts in the future, or the weekend or two a year the wife and I camp. 

204CBF89-F51D-4DC1-9ACA-5FB9AD5597E5.jpeg

• Like 1