Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Old State route 87

Here in the map is a paved road called old state route 87.

It’s paved top to bottom but at the 2 green x spots they have these dirt banks like blocking it.

Anyone know if that is really blocked?

You can access it from the top and bottom it looks like but can you not really go all the way through?

IMG_4824.JPG.7a4f1ecb805411e27b969a7ed3b83017.JPG

IMG_4823.thumb.JPG.03587e28d459fa374884ac5cc00c439f.JPG

IMG_4822.thumb.JPG.ccd3470c7c670c906f690575e658e0f3.JPG

North end is blocked to the public. There is a forest service building or something south of the burm that they can access through a locked gate.

boy i miss that stretch of highway along sycamore.  mom or even dad would pull off along the creek to cool out the old yellow ford wagon and we would play in the creek in the 60s/70s.  Gib Duthie or the other hiway patrol officers would always stop and stay with us until the ford was ready to head on up to overgaard.

lee

• Like 7

4 hours ago, biglakejake said:

boy i miss that stretch of highway along sycamore.  mom or even dad would pull off along the creek to cool out the old yellow ford wagon and we would play in the creek.  Gib Duthie or the other hiway patrol officers would always stop and stay with us until the ford was ready to head on up to overgaard.

lee

It was pretty in there. That stretch was horrible during holiday weekends. From Slate creek hill it would funnel everyone from 2 lanes to 1. I remember seeing many accidents as people got impatient and tried passing. Probably one of the better improvements on SR 87 up until the entire stretch from Payson to Shea Blvd became a divided 4 lane highway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZ8 said:

It was pretty in there. That stretch was horrible during holiday weekends. From Slate creek hill it would funnel everyone from 2 lanes to 1. I remember seeing many accidents as people got impatient and tried passing. Probably one of the better improvements on SR 87 up until the entire stretch from Payson to Shea Blvd became a divided 4 lane highway. 

Best thing that ever happened to 87

• Like 1

The old sun flower rd.  Used to be nick named state gore 87 because of all the traffic deaths in sunflower.. Think they  did it back in the 80's

• Like 1

Used to stop off at the old Sunflower  Gas station/ / cafe and  sit at the counter and have a couple beers in the late 70's  before it burnt down. Good ole place...........BOB!

• Like 1

they trenched the road, then burmed the trench, then gated each side. You cand still get off and drive up to the gate on each side.

i think from the south side, if you go psst the old adot building...you can take that dirt road all the way to the back of bartlett (?) its a trek though.  We started scouting it once, but my buddy gave up. (i was just along for the ride , his tag and his scout trip).

it was the early 90's becuase i remember seeing it.  The top side  is the 4 way of mt. ord

We used to hunt a water hole back behind Sunflower area.  Mile marker 222 had a dirt road that took you back to the base of the Matazals (sic)  The two track road got so bad we swore it off just before they closed it.  Pucker factor got too high for me.

• Like 1