firstcoueswas80

Suggestions on finding a new camp in the dark

This is a new one for me. It appears as i will need to find all camp in the dark, as i was unable to get Thanksgiving off.

Other than GPS cords, paper plates, etc do you fellas have any tips/tricks? Rumor has it, there will be no signal, and there are several roads to get tripped up on.

We use glow sticks.  Pop the capsules then cut the top off and dump the liquid out at all the places you need to turn. Doesn't last forever and nothing you have to go clean up later.

• Like 2

x2 - OnX - its $17 a year- no brainer, if you meeting someone, have them drip a pin and send it to you when they get cell service - no chance of getting lost

Gaia GPS has a free fully functional month trial. Download it now and like OnX you can download the maps and routes you make prior to leaving to your phone/tablet and just follow the waypoints or tracks.

• Like 1

Get on x, make the trip at least once during the day beforehand and run a track on your phone. It will outline the entire trip. Or zoom in on your trail and make waypoints to the area.  

Amateur ( ham) radio, refelctors on turn points and bright rigid lights.

OnX kicks butt. I wasn't sold on it until I gave it a try and used it this elk season. It is super useful, and it is nice to be able to text a waypoint to your buddy when you need to. 

It is accurate too. If you move even a couple feet it will pick it up and move you on your map.