Sign in to follow this  
Jacob...soaz

Shed dog

My daughter has been working with her GSP with antlers in the yard and he finds them every time, so hopefully he is ready for the big leagues.

• Like 2

Shed? What shed? Where is the shed? You want to do the "GET THE SHED GAME" I'm in. Let's go!!!!  I'll run around all day and look for sheds.

fullsizeoutput_1e0.jpeg

• Like 3

I've had 6 dogs that would pick up sheds. Only 3 I've worked with on actually trying to get them to find them. 1 is a Catahoula/Plott cross the other is a Catahoula. My full Catahoula comes from decoy dog lines. The rest were full Hounds. Start when they are very young. 

Catahoulas can be very tricky as they are super smart and can be very bull headed. One day they will perform flawlessly, the next they will act like buttheads and make you wanna punch yourself. Just dont give up and dont get too frustrated with it. It will pay off and you'll have an amazing hunting partner. 

On 12/6/2019 at 8:24 AM, Nikki.AWHounds said:

I've had 6 dogs that would pick up sheds. Only 3 I've worked with on actually trying to get them to find them. 1 is a Catahoula/Plott cross the other is a Catahoula. My full Catahoula comes from decoy dog lines. The rest were full Hounds. Start when they are very young. 

Catahoulas can be very tricky as they are super smart and can be very bull headed. One day they will perform flawlessly, the next they will act like buttheads and make you wanna punch yourself. Just dont give up and dont get too frustrated with it. It will pay off and you'll have an amazing hunting partner. 

Yes he is still really young I am working on fetch and just getting him used to hiking .. soon I will introduce him to some sheds.  It will give me something to do in the off season.. 

So any other advice on the catahoula?  

On 12/8/2019 at 10:26 AM, Jacob...soaz said:

Yes he is still really young I am working on fetch and just getting him used to hiking .. soon I will introduce him to some sheds.  It will give me something to do in the off season.. 

So any other advice on the catahoula?  

That's a good place to start. I started mine at 5.5 weeks old as far as hiking, her first time out we found a spike elk lion kill so while the other dogs were in there scavenging I encouraged her and the only toys I've played fetch with her are horns. I went on a hike with her yesterday at 10 months old and she brought me an antelope leg bone that the coyotes got a hold of. She brought me a beef cow skull that is at least 20 years old when we moved into the new place. 

As far as the Catahoula thing I cant really say cuz the Catahoulas we have and breed are bred on the edge of psycho. But I can share the same advice on them as I do the other dogs I raise. Consistancy is key. And when they challenge you, make sure you win. 

Make the training process fun. And dont expect the dog to be a rock star everyday. Also, if the dog isnt constantly worked, it's hard for it to know what its job is. We raise and train shed dogs, biggame hounds, blood trail dogs, and coyote decoy dogs and coyote catch dogs along with some hog dogs. So it's our full time job working with the dogs. It's very hard to have the best working dog without the time to do so. Just stay consistent and have fun. Dogs are meant to be fun, and working dogs are the most fun a person can have in their lifetime. 

2 hours ago, Nikki.AWHounds said:

That's a good place to start. I started mine at 5.5 weeks old as far as hiking, her first time out we found a spike elk lion kill so while the other dogs were in there scavenging I encouraged her and the only toys I've played fetch with her are horns. I went on a hike with her yesterday at 10 months old and she brought me an antelope leg bone that the coyotes got a hold of. She brought me a beef cow skull that is at least 20 years old when we moved into the new place. 

As far as the Catahoula thing I cant really say cuz the Catahoulas we have and breed are bred on the edge of psycho. But I can share the same advice on them as I do the other dogs I raise. Consistancy is key. And when they challenge you, make sure you win. 

Make the training process fun. And dont expect the dog to be a rock star everyday. Also, if the dog isnt constantly worked, it's hard for it to know what its job is. We raise and train shed dogs, biggame hounds, blood trail dogs, and coyote decoy dogs and coyote catch dogs along with some hog dogs. So it's our full time job working with the dogs. It's very hard to have the best working dog without the time to do so. Just stay consistent and have fun. Dogs are meant to be fun, and working dogs are the most fun a person can have in their lifetime. 

Sounds like you have your hands full with dogs . I would sure like to have some lion dogs but don't have the time right now. 

Thanks for the advice I have been working with him with some sheds and trying to get his obedience down . He is a quick learner so it's been fun we will see if we cant go have some fun after Jan.