Sign in to follow this  
snookfisher

West Central/Southwest Florida Inshore Fishing

Hello all!  I'm new to the forum after moving to Arizona from west central Florida.  I joined CWT to continue expanding my hunting knowledge out west, but didn't think there would be a fishing community here as well and am pleasantly surprised.  

After the conclusion of January's archery season I plan to begin working on my fly fishing techniques for Arizona and will be picking everyone's brains quite a bit.  In the meantime, if anyone plans on making an inshore fishing/vacation trip to west central/southwest Florida and need some guidance please feel free to hit me up.  Fishing is my first love and snook are my passion and would love to pass any knowledge along.   After struggling through my first hunting season here last year I quickly learned how much local knowledge can be of assistance.  

Tight lines! 

• Like 1

in fact snook is an occasional catch while spinning or flyfishing the beach for roosters from the mulege river south around the east cape of baja sur.

lee

• Like 1

Welcome. Grew up on Long Island so I am well aware of the fishing bug and spent most of my time there chasing anything with fins. I went to Fort Myers last spring for a remembrance of a good childhood friend who passed and some of our crew came down from NY, Carolinas, New England for a few days.

While I was there I chartered a guide out of Cape Coral and went in search of Tarpon, Permit and Snook. It was February so pickins were slim but I managed to land a snook after a few brok off, a permit and although we were on tarpon in a residential canal they had lock jaw. Very cool to watch six footers roll on the bait.

Here I only fish the mountain lakes but the desert lakes have plenty to offer. Some decent action to be had out of San Diego, I hear they even have bonefish. Another bucket list fish for me, as soon as I master the fly.

• Like 1

For Arizona fly fishing advice I highly recommend you check out azflyandtie.com.  It's the best website for Arizona fly fishing information.

• Like 4

I fish cockroach bay a lot when I’m out seeing my son and his family. I leave a boat and truck in his driveway lol! Welcome to Arizona!

That's awesome BigLakeJake, didn't know they'd have snook over there!  

PRDATR, Fort Meyers is a beautiful part of Florida.  That's pretty impressive that you were able to get a snook to commit in February, they tend to get very lock-jawed with the cooler temps. Glad you were able to land one.  I used to go camp at Cayo Costa State Park there every summer for a non-stop snook/shark fishing bonanza.  Was always a lot of fun minus the mosquitos haha.

Thanks for the recommendation BigBrowns.  I recently picked up a copy of, "Arizona Trout Streams and Their Hatches" and am trying to get up to speed with the strategies here, but that website certainly looks like it will help the learning curve.

SO I HUNT, you sound exactly like me when I go home to visit my dad now haha.  So happy he just picked up a new Hewes Redfisher 18.  It's like I got a new Redfisher that I don't have to pay for!

Jared 

• Like 1

time to roll out this old Gem-from now to easter is baja at its inshore best.  just a note of interest i have caught juvi snook, bonefish and roosters on sabiki's just off penasco.

What part of West Central Florida?  I grew up in Ocala fishing the ONF ponds, Rodman Reservoir, Lake Weir, Ocklawaha river,  Harris Chain, gold course ponds and just about anywhere else.....

BigLakeJake you're getting me fired up with those snook videos.  I had no idea there were Pacific snook.  My wife has been badgering me to take a vacation to Cabo, but I had no interest in going to a beach just to "relax."  Doesn't feel right to be on a beach without a fishing rod in my hands, but you may have saved our marriage with that information haha!

IAMMAC I'm from the Clearwater area but went to college in Gainesville and spent a fair amount of time fishing the various lakes and ponds around the Ocala/Gainesville area.  Lots of great bass fishing to be had in Florida for sure.  

GO GATORS!  I'll be back in Florida spring of 2020 to fish in the Keys and make a trip up to mom and dads in Ocala.  Gonna try and do some bass fishing also so I'll keep ya in mind if I run into any issues. 

BTW I was just down in Vail for my Coues hunt in 34A, my buddy lives off of 83 and I-10.

• Like 1