Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Youth javelina 22/23

I’m headed to scout out some areas for the upcoming youth javelina hunt, unit 22/23. I want to check out the backside of saguaro lake but I am not 100% sure what the legalities of hunting there. I believe it to be Tonto National Forest but it’s also a popular recreation areas for the butcher Jones beach area and off road vehicle trails around the rolls area. Are there any no hunting laws that prohibit hunting there? I know it’s not considered prime real-estate but it’s close enough to run out after school etc.  

EA1076AB-A735-4D9F-9E33-8B0D3E4FF19B.thumb.jpeg.81bf12a6ecfb83dca142ecec09bcfa5c.jpeg

4 Peaks, NF143, is only 5 miles further up 87 and maybe 10 from Butcher Jones if you go that way. If you are taking younger kids in, I would stay away from the BJones area. Too much drama there but the piggies are around if you want to deal with the crowds and vehicles.  There are some roads/trails that you can take from the parking lot all the way to the lake if you really want to get that close to the lake.

Access # 3 & 4- Butcher Jones Rec. Site:

Note: There is no parking of OHV trailers or
riding in the recreation sites.

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/units/mesa/22/

You can also try the “Rolls Area” north of Saguaro Lake. Take Forest Service (FS) Road 143 and hunt the lower elevations towards Saguaro Lake and the Cane Springs area. Several large fires have run through this area. Concentrate on hunting the edges of the unburned vegetation. Javelina may utilize the edges of the burned area for new green growth. Continuing north up Highway 87, you can hunt off the Four Peaks Road, Ballentine Trail Area, and just off Highway 87 on both sides. All these areas offer good lower Sonoran desert Javelina hunting.

10 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

4 Peaks, NF143, is only 5 miles further up 87 and maybe 10 from Butcher Jones if you go that way. If you are taking younger kids in, I would stay away from the BJones area. Too much drama there but the piggies are around if you want to deal with the crowds and vehicles.  There are some roads/trails that you can take from the parking lot all the way to the lake if you really want to get that close to the lake.

Access # 3 & 4- Butcher Jones Rec. Site:

Note: There is no parking of OHV trailers or
riding in the recreation sites.

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/units/mesa/22/

You can also try the “Rolls Area” north of Saguaro Lake. Take Forest Service (FS) Road 143 and hunt the lower elevations towards Saguaro Lake and the Cane Springs area. Several large fires have run through this area. Concentrate on hunting the edges of the unburned vegetation. Javelina may utilize the edges of the burned area for new green growth. Continuing north up Highway 87, you can hunt off the Four Peaks Road, Ballentine Trail Area, and just off Highway 87 on both sides. All these areas offer good lower Sonoran desert Javelina hunting.

Thank you very much, not sure where I missed the AZGF info regarding the Rolls Area, I appreciate you sharing that with me! Usually try to get as far from population as possible but just thinking about some quick after school spots that maybe we could hit!!!

• Like 2

Im brand new to Javelina hunting myself so I cant contribute too much with the exception is that there are a TON of people in jeeps and side by sides running all over that area behind Saguaro Lake. I would do my best to steer clear. Although, I havent had boots on the ground to scout for Javelina in that area I have been back there more than a few times off-roading to my favorite bass fishing spots and its always crowded.

5 hours ago, Flatlander said:

I’m confused, did you leave snowflake?

No I didn't but my grandson lives in Gilbert so we will be working from that leave point!!! No way ever I could survive living full time down there!!!! 

FYI......Snowflake vs Ben Franklin Saturday at 6:00 at Williamsfield semi finals..............Ben Franklin put a smack down on Snowflake early in the season!!!

Look into getting the Bull Dog canyon permit from Tonto.  Basically its the are "interior" to the lake - river- mesa area.  I t still is open to the public, but way less traffic than the top side of the lake or four peaks area

Sorry a little late to the party, i hunted that exact area this last general hunt. due to "snowmageddon" it was the only place that was open. Yes you can hunt there when I arrived on the Sunday of the hunt we saw a father and 2 boys coming out of the hills with 3 Javalina. They shot them just one hill over from the Butcher Jones site. Myself, I saw tons of sign. and a glimpse of a Javalina at the bottom of one of the canyons on the peninsula at the bottom of the area that you highlighted. I couldn't connect though. On Sunday the ATV traffic was intense but I tried to play that to my advantage and found some Rolls with out roads and hunted them. During the weekdays there was almost no traffic from morning till about 4pm and even then it was light.

Sorry my mistake... I wasn't thinking. I read "close to the valley" and my bran went in auto.   In 22 we head up to rye/mt ord...for 23 we go down a-cross