Sign in to follow this  
coues32

20C access?

My daughter has youth hunt in 20c this Friday.  Haven't been there b4.

Would a decent 4x4 suv be good to hunt out of or would side by side be better to access the area?

Tuff , took use all hunt last year to find them, 2 hunts prior. Goodluck we will be up there with the grand daughter 

yes a 4x4 would be best but heck in all honesty a 2 wheel drive will get you to the deer in alot of places.

if you have a side x side take it dont beat your truck up on the rocks plus it outs you in a bad mood.

SxS for sure. With as much rain as we just got plus the rain they are saying might happen next week it could be a muddy mess. 

On 11/21/2019 at 7:08 AM, coues32 said:

Thanks for the input, will take sxs.

Kinda crazy they put back to back 300 tag hunts b4 the youth hunt. 

whats even crazier is a few years back there was 1200 tags total for that unit(rifle youth etc etc) thats not counting archery OTC tags, we found deer everywhere when scouting for my daughters friend youths hunt. then during archery season we were hunting yotes and saw bucks everywhere. there is something about that unit that has a ton of deer, especially the buck to doe ratio.

most bucks we seen were right off major roads they basically jumped in front of us. we turned a few kids and there dads onto  them. I hunt yotes there all the time cause its close and always see bucs year round.

if you hunt in the hills its rough. took us 3-4 hours just to get to one small herd of bucks one very nice 4x4. it was less than 1000 yards away as the crow flies but the hills and cliffs were steep. daughter got to with 60 yards of it one day and couldn't get a shot. another day she walked right by it 20 yards. never saw it as the other bucks were 80-100 yards away. I was glassing from the other hill side and guiding her in. heck we even went out and got push to talks after a week of that. We watched the bucks for a few weeks, climbing straight up a hill in which we couldnt even stand with out sliding down. A week before it closed a few years back a guy wacked a nice one with his bow.

definitely fun times in that unit lots of deer. we found most of our deer by calling in yotes before the season, heck we were in the flat jashua (sp)tree area calling yotes and had deer coming in or we see them walking off.

• Like 1