Coues Archer

Unit 21 Help!!!

Hello my fellow hunters,

My brother in law recently drew a bull elk tag Starting November 29th. We are totally new to elk hunting and I wanted to reach out to whomever would be willing to share with us where there is a good camping area. We intend on getting in there with a camper near verde rim? Is that even possible? Maybe it’s better to get a cabin elsewhere in the unit? I unfortunately have not had a chance to go out scouting with my bro so I would appreciate any help. We are also meat hunters and would not mind killing a spike lol. Any advice would be much appreciated for camping/hunting👍🏼

Sincerely,

Coues Archer

if the ford at childs powerplant is still passable look into that.  about 10 years a go 2 local fellows brought back toads from that access to pine mountain.  mostly glassing.  rough.  mules might be best.

lee  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CouesFanatic said:

21 is not the unit to hunt without scouting. The elk population is very low, roads are rough. You have your homework cut out for you considering you have 8 days left.

But that’s what we are all for.

• Like 1

Wet roads will make it tough.  Hopefully they dry out so you can make it back to where the elk are.  Not many places to camp if they stay wet.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, biglakejake said:

if the ford at childs powerplant is still passable look into that.  about 10 years a go 2 local fellows brought back toads from that access to pine mountain.  mostly glassing.  rough.  mules might be best.

lee  

Not passable 

• Like 1

You won’t get a camper to the rim.. 

Id stay around i17 and 169

If you drive up to squaw peak and glass south you’ll find elk. Rough depending on whether they’re in the bottom or up but they’re around there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mathews said:

You won’t get a camper to the rim.. 

Id stay around i17 and 169

If you drive up to squaw peak and glass south you’ll find elk. Rough depending on whether they’re in the bottom or up but they’re around there. 

Have fun packing one out of there 

31 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Have fun packing one out of there 

It’s easy to draw for a reason

With the rain that is coming Dugas will be out of play for you next week.  I would stick to Cherry Creek and head to Squaw Peak or come off Bloody Basin to the bottom side of Pine Mountain.   Either will be a decent drive and messy with the mud, but it can be done.  Saw some bulls last week in 21 and they were huntable if it did not rain.  

• Like 1