elkman

New rifle build 6.5 300wsm

I am having a new rifle built by axis right now and have a 6.5 barrel for it.  I have been toying with the idea of a 6.5 300wsm.  just wanted something different than i have had i like the cm but wanted a little more pop.  Bad idea?.  Anyone running this same gun

My first semi custom build was a Remington 700 in  chambered in 300WM. I killed a Bull elk with it at 900 yards and several Coues deer with it. I stayed with a 180 grain projectile for everything. Deer don't do too well when hit with that round, never had to take a follow up shot. It's just a little heavy to carry for steep mountain hunting. 

I also just bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. Son killed an elk with it and has taken one Coues so far. Shooting a 140 grain bullet and its pretty much stock other than a break. I like both rifles for different reasons. My 6.5 is lighter to carry but the 300 has more knock down. I'll probably use the 6.5 more just for that reason. Rounds are easy to find for both rifles.

For a hunting gun I would go with a 6.5 PRC.  You’ll get close to 6.5-300 velocities with way less headaches, no fire forming, no neck trimming, head stamped brass and all.  Just not worth 100-150 fps to me.  

But if your a speed chaser and like the tinkering of wildcats go for it.

• Like 1

I have built quite a few of them. Great cartridge and performance. The only downside to this cartridge is having to neck down .270WSM brass and turning the necks. Other than that its all positive. Better quality brass available than the crappy Hornady for the PRC and more widely available and cheaper than the SAUM and better velocity than both of them. Sweet spot with the 140s seems to be right around the 3150fps mark. H1000 and Retumbo work well. 

1 hour ago, KoosCrazy said:

For a hunting gun I would go with a 6.5 PRC.  You’ll get close to 6.5-300 velocities with way less headaches, no fire forming, no neck trimming, head stamped brass and all.  Just not worth 100-150 fps to me.  

But if your a speed chaser and like the tinkering of wildcats go for it.

Exactly...

ADG brass for the PRC and rock and roll. Turning necks and necking up or down is that last crap I want to deal with.....

I built a 6.5 WSM several years ago, before the Nosler, Creedmoor and PRC were out.  Resizing is nothing as you would run factory brass though the dies anyway to straighten necks.  Neck turning takes just a little time.  I'd start with Norma 270 WSM brass.  I have Redding dies, but do not think they offer 6.5-300WSM anymore.

Now, I would just go with the 6.5 PRC for less hassle, or 26 Nosler for more speed if one does not shoot it much considering barrel life.

Do you already have an action you are starting with?

thx for the insight.  can you neck down 300wsm brass?   I have 100s or rounds of brass.  I like the ballistics of it but like stated above not sure the pro wouldn't out weight the difference with the availability of brass?

Magnum bolt face I assume? 

• Like 1

yeah its a titanium Remington style magnum action and a proof barrel with a manners stock timney trigger.  Need to decide which to go with so he can start.  

I'm in a similar path for my next build, hopefully in the spring, I have been seriously looking at the 6.5 sherman short. Seems like a great cartridge especially for a shorter barrel. Might be of interest to you