Sign in to follow this  
Jacob...soaz

Pre rut

Soon. I've been in 29 in mid december and mule deer bucks already had does bunched up. But probably another three weeks or thereabouts for the desert units.

• Like 1

Every year the “rut” posts start right after rifle season, it cracks me up 😂😂...it’s so variable year to year it’s hard to pattern but in my experience around my area I’ve seen most pre-rut stuff going on through December and the peak rut being middle end of January into February. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Not rut just a pervert. Or a lucky sob!

Who trphyhntr with the Camera or the deer ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was also wondering the same thing. My husband was one of the 15 lucky ones to draw a 6B mule tag that starts this Friday. This will be our first time hunting the "rut". I am so excited. I just hope its not too muddy from all the snow. 

Definitely pre rut going on down in the southern units with smaller bucks.  Watched a forky chase a doe around for a while, and a decent 2x2 with about 10 does, gathering them together.  Can't wait to see the big boys show up and take over.

We got on 5 bucks last week all with does and my buddy  tagged out on monday with this weird looking buck . Also with does .. I will be out there on jan first trying to fill my tag 

20191216_184421.jpg

20191216_192827.jpg

20191216_192820.jpg

20191216_192840.jpg

20191216_192833.jpg

• Like 3

I’ve heard there are some herds rutting pretty hard down this way. I personally have only seen pre-rut action with bucks being solo and getting violent with the smoke bush trees in the washes. 

516A81C9-CB83-4425-841D-51CE6D2F4AEF.jpeg

D5EF122C-786F-44F0-95BC-D853094BD750.jpeg

1C692ECC-A117-4BFE-8FAD-17E4EF311281.jpeg

I have heard there is rutting in 39 and 40A/B. I have been in 44A and have seen groups of does with spikes only. I did glass up does with 2 bucks that were 160+ but they were tolerating each other so I am thinking none of the girls had started smelling good.

1 hour ago, creed said:

I have heard there is rutting in 39 and 40A/B. I have been in 44A and have seen groups of does with spikes only. I did glass up does with 2 bucks that were 160+ but they were tolerating each other so I am thinking none of the girls had started smelling good.

I’ve heard the same thing as you as far as 39/40AB. I’ve been in 44B and the bigger bucks seems to be solo still. In another few weeks though that should all change.