Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Looks like good elk hunting weather!!!

Forest Service Roads Closing On The Coconino National Forest Ahead Of Winter Storm

Roads are beginning to close ahead of a major winter storm that will affect Northern Arizona this week. The Coconino National Forest will close all forest service roads adjacent to highways 180 and 89 today north to Forest Road 522, keeping Christmas Tree cutting open. All forest service roads on the Mogollon Rim Ranger District will also close, except for the Pinyon Christmas Tree cutting area. ADOT says they are closing State Route 67 to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon early for the season ahead of the storm. ADOT closes the 43-mile stretch of highway each winter between Highway 89A and Jacob Lake and the North Rim.

• Like 1

Flagstaff weather office just updated their forecast. It appears the storm's intensity is trending down and snowfall totals are decreasing. 

IMG_20191126_175744.jpg

• Like 1

The other day Young was supposed to get 1" of rain Thursday and 5-8" of snow on Friday.  Now it is down to .3" of rain Thursday and 3-6" of snow Friday.  If we had another week before the hunt it might be sunny skies the way it is going.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:44 AM, GreyGhost85 said:

yeah, i am NOT looking forward to this elk hunt. we've got 4 unit 1 late bull tags this year. gonna be a cold one. the wind picked up to 40-50mph yesterday evening and is still going. 

Chit.. Hold on

17 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

I think everyone should turn their tags in... Elk are gonna be buried over their horns anyway. 😝

Good grief----A tip to the flatlanders, use the snow to your advantage. Good storm like this, the elks will migrate to winter quarters. Just park

your nice warm vehicle on the migration route and let them come to you. Unit 27 Middle Mt. to Blue River route. Unit 1 Milligan Valley route &

South fork route to name a few.

• Like 2

Up in unit 10 right now and it’s been raining for the past 4 hours. Opening morning should be interesting. Good luck to everyone with a tag

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AZ513 said:

Up in unit 10 right now and it’s been raining for the past 4 hours. Opening morning should be interesting. Good luck to everyone with a tag

I was in unit 10 on the CHAMP hunt 2 weeks ago. Tough hunt. Hope you have better luck. Stay safe. 

• Like 1

6A has been light rain off and on since last night. But the wind is something else it is the killer. Here’s hoping for a little snow tonight! Good luck everyone.

PS.  1:00 am keep waiting for the trailer to lift off to Oz. Canopy and Ezup are destroyed, not much rain now but I can’t even stand outside it’s blowing so hard, I pity the guys in tents down the road.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hunterjohnny said:

6A has been light rain off and on since last night. But the wind is something else it is the killer. Here’s hoping for a little snow tonight! Good luck everyone.

Yep the wind has picked up here now. Hoping this rain turns to snow soon. If it snows and there’s no wind we’ll be in good shape tomorrow